11/10, this day in history

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I was 10 (1975) and I don't remember any of it.

I'll never forget the day. It was one of the windiest days of all and the temperature was falling all day. I was working outdoors too so maybe that is why I remember it. Didn't hear about the wreck until the next day but it did not surprise me with the weather being how it was.

One of the first songs I learned to play on the acoustic guitar. About four chords and a capo is all that is needed to get through the most of it. Remembering the lyrics is another. Cheat sheet for that.

I don't remember the wreck at the time, I was in high school at the time, but I had the pleasure of seeing Gordon Lightfoot perform that song in a small theater a month ago... :)

Reactions: fishingpol
We had a very bad snowstorm (blizard) on that day/night I remember hearing about it the next morning and wondering if they would or could find any survivors.

Dave, we lived at Gaylord at the time and we also got snow that night.

I Remember it too well. Had a good friend who worked on the 'lakers' as an oiler in the engine room. Only by a last minute switch of scheduling, Stanley wasn't on the Fitzgerald. Lightfoot's song is haunting - to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.