'11 / '12 Nears the half-way point, wood consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking over my wood last night and figured Ive burned about 1 1/2 cords, if the weather stays about the same Ill end up burning 3 cords, I plan on 4 per year so having extra is a good thing for next year. Iver barely touched my oak since I only have about one cord of seasoned Ive been saving it for the real cold weather, might use some this weekend if the forecast holds.

3 cords.

New house, new stove.

We get a really wicked wind here. I have a LOT of sealing and caulking to do this spring. And tree cutting. There's 5 piney things that are half dead and threatening to fall on the house.

I've burned a little over 1 cord here. And mostly soft maple at that.
Just today I'm getting into the red oak and ash a little more. I still have a little soft Maple left though. Mixing it up is just fine by me.
The longest "shoulder season" I can remember.

I am not up to 1 cord yet, but I think I am getting close.

By the time the weekend is over I'll be about 1 1/3 cord in, this winter has been easy so far which is fine by me.

[Disclaimer - weekend & occasional cold evening burner, not 24/7]

We have used about 1/2 cord... around half of usual. NG bill is also less than half of usual.

I think I see next years wood in this years pile. Next years pile might stretch to 13/14 if we get another winter like this. I might finally learn what the mythical 3 year oak burns like :) :)

steeltowninwv said:
so i guess the guys that havent burned a cord..or right at a cord...uve got run a furnace..or something else...not that have the best house..or best stove.....but ive burned at least 2 cord...only heating source i use....so even on those nights when its 55 outside im burning some wood.

Don't know about anyone else but I've burned a bit over 2 cords. Some of that was pine and poplar that went much faster. But I have an older stove and have not turned the gas on all winter so I guess I'm doing okay. Usually I figure 5 for the winter so I am on pace to have a good bit left over (hopefully).

Here in Maryland, the weather has been balmy and the geese haven't even shown up yet in the numbers they usually do. We've had more 60 degree days since Turkey Day than we've had 30 degree days. Not a lick of snow. As such, I don't think I've touched a cord of wood, and most of that was dry maple and some job site junk. So maybe, 3/4 of a cord.

Ordered two cords from a firewood guy a friend recommended. He dropped it off and I could tell straight away that this stuff was wet and heavy. When I ordered the wood, I told the fella "I need something I can burn tomorrow." He brings me stuff that hadn't been split a couple weeks. The pile he dropped off smelled like a Home Depot lumber aisle. He dropped off another cord this week, called it the dryest stuff I've got. I guess we will see, but if all else fails, I've got three more cords for next year.

I've burned a little over 1.5 cord. Still have about 3 left to go. Feeling pretty good about it, but still have a long way to go before we are out of the woods. Cold weather and snow coming tomorrow.

Just under 2 cord as of today. Hoping to make it to middle of Jan. using 2, but the cold is starting to get here. Snow too......finally.
That leaves me with 1.5 in the left side of the shed, and just under 2 in the right side.
I'm hoping to have at least 1/3 cord left when I stop for the season, but I'll use whatever I need to keep warm. I have more. :coolsmile:

I think I'm at about 2-2.5 cord at this point, but only source of heat for 3000sqft - not too bad. Cheers!

Just over 2 cord now.

This is with a pre-EPA 'smoke dragon'.
2300 sq ft (includes basement - partially insulated... ongoing project).
Primary heat source - I've turned on the electric heat once this year

Pretty happy with that - this time last year I'd say I burned 5-6 cords. But this was the first year learning the stove, less than ideal wood, and much less insulation.

1 cord pine
3/4 cord oak/maple mix
16 bags of pellets

~100 gallons of oil (down from ~600 for the same period last year)

Probably at just over 1 cord so far. Burning a leisure 24/7 with occasional breaks on the warmer days. The furnace usually has to run to heat the far end of the house, but it has been running much less as the heat of the stove has made it all the way out there in this warm weather. Propane consumption is way down as well. I think I have enough scrounged wood on hand already to replenish my stacks as I burn this year.

steeltowninwv said:
so i guess the guys that havent burned a cord..or right at a cord...uve got run a furnace..or something else...not that have the best house..or best stove.....but ive burned at least 2 cord...only heating source i use....so even on those nights when its 55 outside im burning some wood.

No furnace here. Our Fireview has to heat the whole place and does so very nicely.

I've burned some wood . . . and still have a whole lot more wood left over at this point.
How much? Whoknows? I haven't kept track . . . as long as I have wood left over by May I'm happy.

firefighterjake said:
. . . as long as I have wood left over by May I'm happy.
As long as I still have another year's supply by May, I'm happy.

About half a cord and a quarter ton of Eco Bricks. Usually by this time it's a half cord and half a ton of bricks.

I don't even think I've burned half a cord yet. Usually one cord by now but I've got a different stove and drier wood this year. Until recently, there have been a lot of single-load days using Cherry and some Sugar Maple limbs that were dead and dry. Even if temps return to normal, I'll have at least two years of wood that's already stacked and a couple more years in various stages of processing. I've only recently started to burn some Oak, and burned a couple splits of BL for the first time last night, just to see what all the fuss was about. :smirk:
No oil burned except when hauling trailer-loads of wood with the '95 Ciera. :smirk:
I'm supplying three other households, so if they have wood left over I'll be well on my way to getting them ahead also. Need to do that so I can start feeding all this Black/Red Oak into the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.