11 weeks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Just thought I'd put this out there, for a little perspective on wood usage.
Pic on the left is from this past Aug., when I got the shed filled. The other one (the one on the right :lol: ) is from Monday morning.
I started burning the middle of Sept., ......had to test the stove rebuild.
The first row was just ever so slightly higher than 4' on the left, and as you can see on the right, not quite to the rafters. Six feet high all the way across would have been a cord.
I'd like to have about half remaining on the next row at the end of December.
The Englander 30 glass gasket will be here tomorrow. I'll use the leftover from that to reseal the air intake plate. I might get this thing running right yet.

Attachments

• Screenshotresize.jpg
    Screenshotresize.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 520
Thats alot of wood used. It's really noticeable when you look at the floor and see the difference. Almost a full pallet depth.

We had a warm Sep, Oct, and most of Nov. Winter's here now.

Well Dave surely knows what winter is like because of where he lives. It doesn't look to me like you went through all that much yet Dave. Hang on though. Some really cold stuff in the forecast now after a few snowflakes fall this weekend.

basswidow said:
Thats alot of wood used. It's really noticeable when you look at the floor and see the difference. Almost a full pallet depth.

Pic evidently is deceiving. Used only one row of splits (approx. 16") in just under 3 months. Not quite a cord.
I thought I was doing pretty good. The next 3 months are always the worst, so we'll see.

PapaDave said:
basswidow said:

Pic evidently is deceiving. Used only one row of splits (approx. 16") in just under 3 months. Not quite a cord.
I thought I was doing pretty good. The next 3 months are always the worst, so we'll see.
That doesn't seem too bad for your location. I've used 1/2 cord of poplar so far. My car said it was 5 degrees when I left for work this morning, supposed to be colder yet Monday night. Hopefully I don't go through too much wood in this cold snap.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Dave surely knows what winter is like because of where he lives. It doesn't look to me like you went through all that much yet Dave. Hang on though. Some really cold stuff in the forecast now after a few snowflakes fall this weekend.

I'll have to check the forecast Dennis, to see what you're talking about. We've been hanging at about 18-20 for the last 2-3 days, with real light flurries that don't really stick.

Backwoods Savage said:

That snow can go back north there talking 5-10 inch's here Sunday and the ground is already covered no signs of it melting either.

Damn! You stove guys go through a lot of kindling!!

PapaDave said:
Just thought I'd put this out there, for a little perspective on wood usage.
Pic on the left is from this past Aug., when I got the shed filled. The other one (the one on the right :lol: ) is from Monday morning.
I started burning the middle of Sept., ......had to test the stove rebuild.
The first row was just ever so slightly higher than 4' on the left, and as you can see on the right, not quite to the rafters. Six feet high all the way across would have been a cord.
I'd like to have about half remaining on the next row at the end of December.
The Englander 30 glass gasket will be here tomorrow. I'll use the leftover from that to reseal the air intake plate. I might get this thing running right yet.

PapaDave like we say in our house burn to stay warm. I even broke down and brought some sugar maple and beech in, I'm a hoarder (of good wood) :zip:

zap

CountryBoy19,
Considering the first, just under 1/3 cord was spruce, I didn't think it was too bad either.
I've never tracked usage every month, just yearly, and then done an average monthly use calc. from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.