1100 in the stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1234

Dec 5, 2008
Colorado
My double wall stovepipe goes straight up off of my wood furnace, with a barometric damper just above the T, then a thermometer IN the pipe about 24" above that, triple at the rafters through the roof.
Usually I heat the pipe up around 500 or 600 once a day, or every other day, just to heat it up, keep it cleaner. Last night while I was doing that, the pipe started to crackle (pop, whatever expanding metal sounds like), and the pipe hit 1100. I shut the stove down, but left the barometric damper open (although I got ready to cover it) and it stabilized at 1100, then slowly went back down.
Admittedly my wood lately is less dry, mostly standing elm, so I am sure I am producing more creosote. And I had planned to clean the pipe this week, supposed to be very nice the next 3 days.
Did I have a chimney fire, or is this behavior now and then OK?

Attachments

• IMG00009.jpg
    IMG00009.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 280
Mike, you probably had a small one but only 1100 degrees you should be okay. Now get out there and get next year's wood all ready so you have good dry wood to burn. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Mike, you probably had a small one but only 1100 degrees you should be okay. Now get out there and get next year's wood all ready so you have good dry wood to burn. lol

Thank you all for your input, makes me feel better, was a little concerned.

As far as next years wood: today, 2 loads of hedge!!! (I have a Chevy S10), yesterday 1 load of elm, the day before that 2 loads of thorny locust and hackberry, and the day before that 2 loads of elm and hackberry. Big heaping loads. One of my kids says I have more now then we had in October last year before we started burning, but I don't think so. Maybe 3 cords altogether, or maybe a little more? But I think I can get 5 more loads Friday and Saturday, and take Sunday off. My plan is to never have to worry about enough wood again, never to be burning standing dead stuff the year I cut it down, and to be at least 1 year ahead, so I am working my butt off this year to do that. I'm aiming for 8 cords, but 10 would be better.

I have 2 big thorny locust and 1 big elm to drop where I have been cutting, then move on to the fence line with all the hedge.
My family says I am obsessed. :bug: Obsessed and well stocked with wood and warm. I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.