12 degrees in just over 1 hour, M55 is incredible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
I have had this beauty running for a little over a week now.
No OAK (yet. I have to get a 3" hole saw and some metal pipe)
Burning Maine's Choice pellets
900sqft open floor plan house
Stove is in living room along outside wall about in the center of the living area.
Venting is straight up thru cathedral ceiling and 3/12 pitched roof.

I had the stove running on #2 all day yesterday. House was 71.
I brought up a bag of pellets to feed the stove late yesterday afternoon (after the Pats game and during the Denver game WOW!)
I got busy sitting on my ass on the couch watching the Dallas-Giants game.
Fell asleep (on couch) around 10:30. Woke and went to bed around 11.
Missed the end of the second great game of the weekend.

Woke up this morning to a 59 deg house.
Outside temp was 25deg at 3 AM and started warming to 37deg at 9AM
Stove was running but was obviously out of pellets and was in cool down mode.

Loaded the bag I had next to the stove that I forgot to add last night.....
Got it running again and set it to #4.
Started my stopwatch.
1hr 9min later the whole living area of house was 71 degrees. :)
I set it back to #2 so I don't roast.

I love the recovery time for this stove. 12 degrees in just over an hour.
With shoulder season pellets.
With my retired EF-2 It would have required all morning to get the house up to comfortable temps.

Can't wait to get this thing on a thermostat.
---Nailer---

I'm glad you like the stove. You will really love heat level 5 then! It will roast you out. Sometimes if I want a quick heat up, I'll turn it up to 5. But, for me the biggest bang for the buck is heat level 3 in hi/low mode.

oldmountvernon said:
nailed_nailer said:

to me this is the most important part of the story. most people dont include that and a guy with say 3000 sqft would look at the post and say WOW i need to get that stove.

x2 I have that stove in a 2 story 2300 sq ft home. When I read something like that I wonder if there is something wrong with my stove. Its nice to compare apples to apples.

Sounds like you've got a winner Nailer....enjoy the heat and a very warm winter. :)

flynfrfun said:
I'm glad you like the stove. You will really love heat level 5 then! It will roast you out. Sometimes if I want a quick heat up, I'll turn it up to 5. But, for me the biggest bang for the buck is heat level 3 in hi/low mode.

Heat level 3 on hi/low was the magic number for me as well, while burning stove chow. Last night I loaded up some Barefoots and the level 3 almost had me cooked well done. Looks like I'll be burning on 2 until it gets really cold.

Nailer, I'm glad you're enjoying the stove. What kind of pellets are you burning?

jbib, How many square ft are you heating with yor stove?

JBiBBs5 said:
flynfrfun said:

Heat level 3 on hi/low was the magic number for me as well, while burning stove chow. Last night I loaded up some Barefoots and the level 3 almost had me cooked well done. Looks like I'll be burning on 2 until it gets really cold.

Nailer, I'm glad you're enjoying the stove. What kind of pellets are you burning?

Maybe it's just my stove, but level 2 is not a whole lot different than 1. Heat level 1 I get about 145F, heat level 2 gives about 180F. I get a big difference when I go to 3 though as it jumps way up to 250F.

I noticed tonight that the room the stove is in and the rest of the first floor wasnt as warm as it has been. Difference between tonight and that past two days.. THE PELLETS. I was burning the Cleanfire Hardwood for the past few days and put in the Homesteads today. I hope this is the reason!!!

pellets make a difference but also youll see a difference when the temps at night start to drop into the 20s

oldmountvernon said:
nailed_nailer said:

to me this is the most important part of the story. most people dont include that and a guy with say 3000 sqft would look at the post and say WOW i need to get that stove.

X2. It's 55,000 btu rated for a 2500 sq ft house! If it DIDN'T heat that quickly, I'd really be P.O.'d! :) I wish I had one! I have 2500 sq ft. Of course, I'd have to feed the beast.

tjnamtiw said:
oldmountvernon said:
nailed_nailer said:

X2. It's 55,000 btu rated for a 2500 sq ft house! If it DIDN'T heat that quickly, I'd really be P.O.'d! :) I wish I had one! I have 2500 sq ft. Of course, I'd have to feed the beast.

There is another thing that never gets mentioned for the most part how well a place is insulated and air sealed.

People talk about their huge heating bill and install a pellet monster or two and just love their new heating bill.

Makes no sense Admiral.

Thanks everyone,

I tried to list all the important variables in my post that would affect how the stove heats.
SQ FT
House layout
Pellet type
Venting path
Start/Stop temps
Recovery time

It was posted as a statement (sheepishly) bragging about the virtues of the new stove. :)
I was comparing the M55 operation compared to my EF-2 history.
I realize my new M55 is way more stove than I need for this layout.
It is nice to idle a stove and keep the house warm vs. cranking it to maintain temps.
I'm sure it will get plenty of workout as the temps dip.
I live on the south end of a lake and all winter long the wind blows out of the north and sucks the heat out of my house.
Being a converted cottage with a wall of windows overlooking the lake and having cathedral ceilings not much more insulating I can do.
I try to make it as tight as possible but there are areas that need improvement.
The EF-2 barely kept up and sometimes had to be helped with (shudder.....OIL!!!) :bug:

I cleaned it out today for the first time.
Many more areas to clean out than the EF2.
Took me almost a 1/2 an hour.
All areas were easy to get to but there were a lot of them.
The curved burn pot liner was interesting to clean/chip the clinkers out/off of.
I'm sure it would have been much worse without the agitator. :)
Been burning Maine's Choice all week+.
10 Bags
Ash Pan was about 3/4 full.

Still loving this stove.
---Nailer---

Nailer. I went 61 bags before cleaning and was very impressed with the burn pot. I didnt have to scrape much at all. I will never do it again but the stove performed beyond my expectations.

Enjoy

oldmountvernon said:
kykel said:
Nailer. I went 61 bags before cleaning and was very impressed with the burn pot. I didnt have to scrape much at all. I will never do it again but the stove performed beyond my expectations.

Enjoy

now that im burning Hardwood heat i can clearly see the difference in ash. Green Supreme left me a ton of ash compared to these. I guess i will challenge you to do 61 bags of GS :)

Yeh who burns the cleanest pellet wins! I got you all beat with a pellet that has only 0.17% ash! Should be able to burn 100 bags!! hehehahahooohooo ;-P

oldmountvernon said:
kykel said:

Enjoy

now that im burning Hardwood heat i can clearly see the difference in ash. Green Supreme left me a ton of ash compared to these. I guess i will challenge you to do 61 bags of GS :)

Im done with the no cleaning the stove ordeal. I couldnt do that to my stove again, besides I had a void in my sunday mornings not being able to clean the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.