12 fp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctd01

Oct 25, 2011
ct
I picked up a englander 12fp last winter. I figured for $150 I would give it a shot. I am installing it now in the basement in front of my fireplace we dont use. I got a flex king pro chimmney liner and ran that down the old chimmney and out to the thimble where I connected it to my piping to my stove. We have about an 1100sqft raised ranch. It should help somewhat with the heating. I have read good and not so good reviews about the stove. I seems when people finally figure out how to run them they love them. Any tips or advise would be great! Thanks

Paul

Ctd01 said:
I picked up a englander 12fp last winter. I figured for $150 I would give it a shot. I am installing it now in the basement in front of my fireplace we dont use. I got a flex king pro chimmney liner and ran that down the old chimmney and out to the thimble where I connected it to my piping to my stove. We have about an 1100sqft raised ranch. It should help somewhat with the heating. I have read good and not so good reviews about the stove. I seems when people finally figure out how to run them they love them. Any tips or advise would be great! Thanks

Paul
I loved mine. Biggest piece of advice I can give is to tighten up that "box" that houses the "throttle" above the door. Let me see if I can dig up a thread or two on the stove from last winter. I really started to get good at burning this stove, but it just isn't big enough for my application, so it has been demoted to the workshop/shed for heat this winter.

Sweet thanks!! I figure for the price I cant go wrong. Atleast now the floor is tiled and the thimble is there if I want to go bigger in the future

Ok, look at this first thread if you can grab the air control knob and it wiggles a lot.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63534

This thread has some interesting burn data
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67368

Just a video of some nice fireworks inside it one night when I was bored
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63702

There are more threads out there. One of our members even modded his to be like the Englander 13 which has secondary burn tubes, effectively making it burn cleaner and more efficiently!

Ctd01 said:
Did you have the blower on yours? If so how did it work?
No, I did not.

Ya got a great deal! Enjoy your stove.

Littlalex

Stove heats the house great. This is our sole source of heat because our furnace isnt installed yet. It was in the 80s in the basement and 70s upstairs. Any tips on getting a longer burn?

Ctd01 said:
Stove heats the house great. This is our sole source of heat because our furnace isnt installed yet. It was in the 80s in the basement and 70s upstairs. Any tips on getting a longer burn?

I dunno, get a roaring fire, then cut it back. You can just cruise at a decent stove top temp for quite a while. If you need to be running at 550-600, then you just aren't going to get very much out of it burntime-wise

What kind of wood are you using, and what temps are you running it at?

Oh, and fill the ash tray with ashes and leave it. Leave a layer of ashes in the firebox and scoop from there as needed. This helps insulate the fire AND prevents any unwanted air from entering the firebox.

Did you tighten up the air control box?

Ctd01 said:

Are you loading e/w, n/s, or a combo?

Burnin some seasoned maple and oak. Air control was already tight. stack tems around 300-400. I get aprox 4 hours out of it. I am not packing the hell out of this thing mabey put 2-3 splits in at a time. Should I put more?

Get a thermometer on your stove top, too.

If you pack it full and run it hard, then I'd expect 4-6 hours max, closer to 4.

So, if you are running it easy with a small load, and still getting 4 hours, then I'd venture a guess that if you load it up and burn at similar temps you can get 6+ hours out of it.

Remember, this is a fairly small stove, and it's not an EPA stove. You can get a lot of burn time out of it, I think I proved that, but it took constant fiddling and tending. Over 6 hours is going to be doing good.

Ctd01 said:
Burnin some seasoned maple and oak. Air control was already tight. stack tems around 300-400. I get aprox 4 hours out of it. I am not packing the hell out of this thing mabey put 2-3 splits in at a time. Should I put more?

When I ran the 12, I had some shorter splits so I would put a couple splits in e/w on the left side of the box and then a couple splits n/s on the right side......I got longer burns out of the "combo" loading. I used to fill it pretty full but if I were you I would just add another 1 or 2 splits to experiment and take it from there...just watch your temps...

The 12 is now officially out of production.

BrotherBart said:
Does that mean mine just went up in value? I'm going with "yes"

Danno77 said:
BrotherBart said:
Does that mean mine just went up in value? I'm going with "yes"

"For sale. 'Classic' Englander 12-FP. They just don't make'em like this anymore."

Status
Not open for further replies.