12 Hour "Burn" from a 1.4 cu/ft Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
Well not exactly.

Yesterday morning at 6:00 AM I put 3 splits( that's all that would fit) of DRY elm in my little Regency. Got it going nicely and turned the air down, left the house about 6:30 AM.
Came home a little after 6:00 PM, the stove was cold and the furnace had just kicked on, BUT I was able to scare up enough hot coals to relight the stove, without using a match.

Not bad for a little stove.

Good job. I could never get my old small Regency to do that, I was lucky to see 8 hours. The Keystone however has had coals after 12 hours a few times.

Congratulations! I sure hope I can pull that off when my T4 install is finished. Should be done before Christmas (my present to me!).

that regency keeps up that sort of work and your fisher will need a dust cover.

pen

Not bad, not bad, especially for a complete stocker. Small stoves rule!

(if only briefly...)

precaud said:
Not bad, not bad, especially for a complete stocker. Small stoves rule!

(if only briefly...)

Well it is not completely stock, I added a 1/4" of Kaowool insulation behind/under the fire brick( it is the lightweight pumice brick).

The insulation seems to help maintain secondary burn, I can generally turn the air all the way down and have the secondaries burning nicly.

I got the 7:00am to 6:00pm restart on good coals yesterday......7:00am reload I was able to add 4 oak pieces on hot coals & turn the air down to ~90%....I struggle to get 3 pieces usually.. I did not expect the good coals upon return.....they were not that hot today after a reload by my father @ 11:00am. Second year wood makes a huge difference since I can run the stove same temp with less air.

We get easy 8 to 10 hr burns in our Keystone - not much heat after 4ish hours, but lots of hot coals. Don't know if we've been away from it more than that, but there are always a bed of coals left over to rekindle the fire.

Infact, one of the things that surprised me with this stove is how few matches we use. I've got a pile of old kitchen matches and a couple of boxes of long fire place type matches and lots of old newspapers. We can go weeks without having the fire burn out before we get a chance to throw some wood on it. Last time I let it go out was to dust off the inside glass.

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.