12 Hour Burn In Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
I loaded up the stove at 11pm the other night with pine splits and put one Idaho energy log way in the back on top of a split. Filled the box with splits packed tight. Let the splits catch and when it was up at 450 I cut the air all the way closed. Now when I have an energy log in the stove the secondaries get a little out of control and the stove wants to take off so I have a ball of foil I stick in the rear air intake under the stove. I just close it off a little bit not all the way. Just enough to get the secondaries rolling nice and slow. The stove settled in at 550. I went to bed at 1am. And when I checked the stove at 11am the next morning it was still at 150 and lots of hot coals from the energy log still left burning in the stove. Put a few splits in and off they went. I kept checking the clock not believing I got a twelve hour burn.

One day soon I need to run another test, this time in the T6 with the NIELs. They are impressive.

I haven't gotten to 12 hours yet but get a good 10 out of it with little effort. I can throw some splits on in the morning and before I get my shoes on to take the dog out they are flaming away. Stove top temp hovers about 150-200 or so. This of course is with good wood. If I have some that is even a little wet from rain that seems to make a dramatic difference in the heat and burn time I get out of the stove.

I loaded up the stove at 11pm the other night with pine splits and put one Idaho energy log way in the back on top of a split. Filled the box with splits packed tight. Let the splits catch and when it was up at 450 I cut the air all the way closed. Now when I have an energy log in the stove the secondaries get a little out of control and the stove wants to take off so I have a ball of foil I stick in the rear air intake under the stove. I just close it off a little bit not all the way. Just enough to get the secondaries rolling nice and slow. The stove settled in at 550. I went to bed at 1am. And when I checked the stove at 11am the next morning it was still at 150 and lots of hot coals from the energy log still left burning in the stove. Put a few splits in and off they went. I kept checking the clock not believing I got a twelve hour burn.
10 to 12 hours is the sweet spot for most of us. Congratulations.

Hey, energy logs are cheating, lol. With the proper wood, outdoor temps, and handling of the stove, 10-12 hours should be about the norm for overnighters. Dont get me wrong, after that long theres not much heat coming off, but enough coals for a reload. With the cold weather upon us, I find myself loading the stove way more than every 10-12 hours though. Id say every 3- 6 since Im working it hard. Im pretty sure we've done a reload around 14-15 hours later at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.