12 inches in michigan today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
Man Im tired of winter allready. This has been a tough winter in Mich so far. My diminishing wood pile tells me that

what Am i saying? its not even winter yet

You guys have all the fun! All we got down here is a little ice this morning and then rain all day long.

-SF

I guess my response would be that I am a "winter time of guy" who thoroughly enjoys my hunting, snowmobiling, four wheeling and of course work. Although I do find that my work seems to interfere with my favorite activities - but heck, I'm not complaining!! No one really enjoys workin out in the cold. I'ts currently been in the single digits or below zero here, with more snow and frigid cold forcast for the weekend - Guess it keeps the phone ringing and the wolves off the porch.

SlyFerret said:
You guys have all the fun! All we got down here is a little ice this morning and then rain all day long.

-SF

Trade ya? ;-P

Likewise!

I live in the great state of Montana and wouldn't trade it for nothin - I'm here because I like it and have to many things to enjoy. Merry Christmas!

SlyFerret said:

-SF

Yeah, samehere, freaking sleet, ice on the trees, slush on the roads ...... would rather 4" of nice powder snow that this miserable stuff today

Stove Doctor said:
I live in the great state of Montana and wouldn't trade it for nothin - I'm here because I like it and have to many things to enjoy. Merry Christmas!

Is Montana as windy as I hear tell, some brutal weather extremes in that state, makes NE Pa where I grew up look like a picnic

Got a foot of snow here too. No roads plowed around us either. Oh well, more snow coming before Christmas.

Guess this would be a good year to bet whether or not we'll have a white Christmas!

You Michigan guys should move up to the U.P. Never got a flake out of that storm you guys got. Only about 12 inches on the ground right now. Seems that the Eastern end of the UP has missed about every storm this year. I know our time is coming, I just love it when down state gets the snow and we don't get any. It just dosn't happen as often as I'd like. It was -18 when I woke up this morning, but as long as I don't have to look at the back of the snow blower it can get as cold as it wants.

Mike

Enjoy it Mike. Hey, we used to live in the UP too. Also at Gaylord, so we definitely know what snow is.

Hey, do you remember that one weekend, I believe it was in December during the 70's or 80's when something like 100 inches of snow fell at the Soo from Friday through Sunday?! Now that is some serious stuff!

There was a December weekend in the mid 90s when the Sault got over 60" of snow. First from lake Michigan, then the storm snow, then from lake Superior. the drifts were awsome.

I remember it because I was living in Kalamazoo at the time and my wife and I both had job interviews in the Sault that Monday. My wife got an offer but I did not, so we stayed in Kalamazoo.

Stove Doctor said:
60 miles north is the best skiing I have ever done! or seen (billings)

BeGreen said:
Likewise!
C,mon BG this has been a good test for your new machine. Its like taking a new car out on a straight away after you have been lugging it in 1st gear around the city. Hopfully you will get a big mountainous hill to climb soon to really break her in. :cheese:

We got a good 12-14 inchs in WI as well. The tractor and snowblower got a workout for sure!

If I could convince my wife to move to the U.P., I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure they need IT guys up there too, so finding a job shouldn't be too bad, right?

Seems to be a pretty good balance here though... I want more winter every year, and my wife wants less winter.

-SF

Backwoods Savage said:
Enjoy it Mike. Hey, we used to live in the UP too. Also at Gaylord, so we definitely know what snow is.

Hey, do you remember that one weekend, I believe it was in December during the 70's or 80's when something like 100 inches of snow fell at the Soo from Friday through Sunday?! Now that is some serious stuff!

I lived in Bay City until 1994, and wouldn't remember much of the 70's or early 80's. Glad I wasn't here for that though.

"There was a December weekend in the mid 90s when the Sault got over 60” of snow. First from lake Michigan, then the storm snow, then from lake Superior. the drifts were awsome."

I believe that was 1995, it was my second year of college, and also the only year since I was 12 that I didn't have a job so getting that much snow was one of the best times of my life. I remember waking up and looking out the window and thought someone stole my car, but it just totally burried in snow, all you could see was the tip of the radio antena. They didn't plow our road for 9 days. The whole rest of the winter it felt like you were driving in a trench going to blow up the death star or something. I lived on the lower level of a 2 story apartment, and we tried to get the girls upstairs to let us jump out of their window, but luckily they said no. Those were the days.

Mike

We're at roughly the mid-point of the current storm. 8" and counting at our house. 12 miles to the west and a bit north of here they are at 16". I suspect this is going to be a record setter for us.

your getting what we got

I live in Central Montana and yes the wind is what you have heard it to be. This time of year it really adds to the windchill factor. I believe it was -45 with windchill last night! It is beautiful here, hunting is second to none and there are good, down to earth folks that live in the area, so it is worth it.

SlyFerret said:
If I could convince my wife to move to the U.P., I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure they need IT guys up there too, so finding a job shouldn't be too bad, right?

Seems to be a pretty good balance here though... I want more winter every year, and my wife wants less winter.

-SF

If your thinking about buying in Da Yooper........Now is the time. Property is at an all time low. Its half of what it was 5 years ago.

If I could sell my house I would move out of Michigan.

Its slowly becoming a communist State. Our ding dong of a Governor hasn't got a clue. We are in the worst economic situation in history and the dumb a$$ raised the price of natural gas 21% right before heating season!!! Rant off. >:-(

Anyway it was -13° this morning! The dog didn't even want to go outside ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.