12 inches of snow and a snapped birch...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Well we got 12 inches of wet snow in southern Minnesota last night and tree limbs are snapping all over town. In my yard we lost a couple of small maple limbs and two of my three trunks on my birch snapped about 7 feet up. Do you think this tree will come back? I was planning on cutting it just below the breaks and see what happens.
The tree isn't all that old and each trunk is 10 inches in diameter at about 3 ft off the ground.

I don't think that they are going to grow back, and even if they did, any sprout that comes out of the old trunk is going to be pretty weak. Can you just let the last trunk take over? You might be suprised how fast it grows now that its competition has been eliminated.

I was planning on cutting it just below the breaks and see what happens.

Give it a try. Might work out ;)
Tough time of the year to prune with the sap starting to run,
but what you gonna do?

Status
Not open for further replies.