1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

12 Ton Splitter, CL ad seems like it might be a good buy

Post in 'The Gear' started by HDRock, Mar 15, 2013.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Awfully light duty but I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for. 12 ton machine, I think I'd seriously consider continuing to split by hand.
  3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    ;lol I use a HF-7 Ton Elec, Splitter, very little splitting done by hand.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Then keep the 7 ton and save your beans for a 20 ton+ machine. Buddy of mine just picked up a 2 yo like-new Huskee 22 ton for under $700.
  5. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Ya, I been lookin, lookin,lookin for a used Huskee
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I did find one
    22 ton huskey log splitter built in 2010 - $900 this is a very well maintained machine changed fluids every year
    22 ton huskey made into a 24ton machine ,highrate flow hose ,speco. valve looks great runs the same first pull starts right up no disappointments here.
    For that $$$ I would get new
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

I had one of those, had a 6.5 hp chink built Honda clone motor instead of the Briggs though.
    Sold it yesterday for $400. I beefed mine up a bit. Got ride of the tiny pusher and wedge and put normal sized ones on. Worked well though it's pretty slow. Cycle time is about 30 seconds.

As far as "only" 12 tons, it split everything I stuck on it. I ran about 15-20 cords threw it this past summer. It'd be a great unit for someone splitting just a few cords a year. The slowish cycle wouldn't be too bad and being it's fairly light and small it's easy to more around and fit in the corner of the shed.
  8. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I just bought similar 12 ton unit for $300 So far it is working great. Because of my location 99% of my wood is pine that this things takes care of without a problem. I managed to score some fairly large elm rounds off of craigslist the other day and put this little spliter to work. To my surprise it easily handled these rounds that are way over the recommended capacity.

I would love to have a 20 ton or larger spliter but this thing works well.

Attached Files:

raybonz and n6crv like this.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Was that the first cycle? That ram looks like it's dancing back and forth a bit there like there's air in the system. Cycle time looks great tho. The chirping noise you hear as the ram contacts the wood is most likely the pressure relief valve.
  10. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    No, I had spilt the other stuff on the ground before I put that big round on there.
    Is that chirping noise bad?
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Just means the system has reached it's max pressure. It''s not a bad thing if it's not there constantly.
  12. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Oh, okay you had me worried