120V switch to control low voltage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonttu

Nov 12, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Long story short is I have an electric baseboard heater that I want to replace with a fan coil unit. The hot water supply to the fan coil unit would be from my current hydronic system that heats the main house and dhw.
I'd like to keep the current 120V thermostat that controls the electric baseboard heater and use it to control the solenoid for the water supply to the fan coil & for the fan in the fan coil unit.
I also need a switch to control the main pump in my hydronic system (the water would be fed from the primary loop - the system was already sized for this new fan coil unit).
Is there a switch available that can be controlled from the 120V power from the thermostat to simply close a low-voltage control line to the hydronic pump?
If need be, I can provide a schematic.
Thanks in advance for the wise advice (the threads on this site have been very helpful).

It seems like any relay with a 120v coil would work. The switched side doesn't care what the voltage level is as long as you don't exceed the maximum. I did a quick google search and found some that might work.

Reactions: BoilerMan
See the post from several days ago. Controlling a pump...

I did this with two RIB devices explained in thread by making a relay controlled wall plug.

I need to learn how to post a thread link. Sorry.

Velvetfoot - sorry could not reply earlier - the suggested relay should to the job....it's on order.
Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome. In looking it up on the Web, it seems like most uses for it involve brewing beer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.