12X12 top plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGuy

Oct 30, 2010
Davisburg, MI
Will a 13X13 terracotta top plate fit a 12X12 flue? I just replaced my top tile and they're 12X12 to the outside edge.

If it's a flat plate there will be an inch excess, you could either trim it, bend it over or just leave it as is after you silicone it in place.

If it is a terra cotta top plate with screws, it should work fine. Silicone it and the screws should have enough travel to hold it securely.

What would you guys recomend, the flat top or the terracota top plate? I would think a standard top plate siliconed on would be pretty well attached, but without being able to screw into the clay I just wonder if it will be enough. I do think the flat will look better though.

I replaces my flat top plates last year with the terra cotta plates with the hinged caps attached and am kicking myself for not doing it years ago. Love those suckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.