13-NC or 13-NCI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostDuck

Oct 21, 2013
Windsor, CT
I know there are a lot of Englander owner out there and wanted your input to see if you thought the 13-NC stove would fit in the fireplace vs the 13-NCI insert.

The 13-NC is 25" W x 28 1/4" H (with 9" legs?) X 20 1/2" D
The 13-NCI is 25 1/4" W X 22" H X 20 1/2" D

Current fireplace measurements are 35" w x 30" H (to the lip) x 20 1/2" D. with 17" hearth.

IMAG1624.jpg

I wanted to get the stove for two reasons 1) cost (649 vs 1099) 2) use the stove in another room later once I can afford to buy bigger insert.

The house is a 1900 sqft colonial but i do not plan to heat the whole house with it yet

Disclaimer:
1) Yes i have sourced my wood supply (Thanks to Hearth.com member telling me to do this first :) ).
2) Split logs have a moisture reading of 18%-24% (elm, maple, oak).

Am I the only one thinking go for the 30 with short legs? I'm in transit and can't check BroBart's dimensions right now.

30" high is not gonna be high enough for the 30 with six inchers to fit. Puts the heat shield and flue collar right even with the lintel. No room to get in there and connect to the liner as well as no path for the heat to get out into the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one thinking go for the 30 with short legs? I'm in transit and can't check BroBart's dimensions right now.
Correct. The 6" legs should work. The 9" legs have the back heat shield at 31".

30" high is not gonna be high enough for the 30 with six inchers to fit. Puts the heat shield and flue collar right even with the lentel. No room to get in there and connect to the liner as well as no path for the heat to get out into the room.

But I just measured the stove. With the 9" legs the back heat shield tops out at just under 31"

I get 29 1/2" with six inch. And my 33" high fireplace a royal pain to stuff it in. And would go at all with nines.

I get 29 1/2" with six inch. And my 33" high fireplace a royal pain to stuff it in. And would go at all with nines.
Odd. I would have figured it would have been under 28".

Just measured the one in the fireplace with six inch and the one in the basement with the ped, for the two hundredth time. 29 1/2" to top of the heat shield.

BrotherBart confirmed my fear with the current fireplace design.... Its just too short for a 30 NC.... And maybe too short for the 13 NC as I never thought about how the heat would get past the lip

Talked to the wife about taking out a row of bricks at the top of the fireplace to get 6 additional inches but was met with dismay (to put it kindly).IMAG1629.jpg

BrotherBart confirmed my fear with the current fireplace design.... Its just too short for a 30 NC.... And maybe too short for the 13 NC as I never thought about how the heat would get past the lip

Talked to the wife about taking out a row of bricks at the top of the fireplace to get 6 additional inches but was met with dismay (to put it kindly).View attachment 120090

Did you follow up by asking if you could take out a bottom row? ==c

Reactions: lostDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.