14/15 wood starting to fill up the wood shed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Bringing the stuff from out back to the shed.
Was hoping to get it in before it got rained on again but didn't make it.
Almost 2 rows, back row 1.3 cords , about the same for the next row when done.
Will get back at it when it dries out in a week or so. Rain forecast for a while.

Moved this 1 yr old birch out, will go in the front to burn first in 2014 :
100_7900.JPG

started stacking the birch that's been out back seasoning
100_7904.JPG 100_7902.JPG

Did the same dave, but back in June. I planned to wait until about now, but got antsy.
The wood was dry, the weather was dry, so I took advantage. The wood hasn't gotten wet since.:cool:
It's all part of the master plan.....which seems to be a moving target.<>

Great lookin shed Dave. It's a good feeling to have that much wood banked up.

:cool:
It's all part of the master plan.....which seems to be a moving target.<>

+1 on that.
It does feel good to have a wood management problem. I've never had this much wood to move around to get ready for cutting season.

My weakest wood collection is 12/13, I remember having back surgery 2 winters ago (no wood got processed) & then had to burn an extra cord last winter.
Burning the back row of the 13/14 wood is part of my contingency plan.
Now to remember which section of the shed is for what burn season LOL :)

Gotta be nuts to put this much planning & thought into firewood. *(& I am)
Wife just mad these, to nail to the sections, front & back , laminated. 6 years of labels. She even helped stack yesterday. She's lov'n the heat more & more :)

100_7906.JPG 100_7907.JPG

thats a great idea, i have a neighbour that uses chalk to mark his cords so he know when they were c/s/s

"She even helped stack yesterday"
Wait, WHAT! WTH!
You drugged her. That's it.
Coulda' saved a bit o' ink by just putting '12-'13.:cool:
That's a great idea, though.

You tell her after she did that for me "Coulda' saved a bit o' ink by just putting '12-'13."
I'm not, I'm much smarter than that.
Could've saved the lamination & put it in a zip lock bag too. You can tell her that too :eek:

LOL
But I love her and appreciate her getting involved with the wood & the help :) :)

Reactions: ScotO
Got a break in the schedule. We got most of the Out back birch in. Just over 4 cords in the 14/15 section.
Bit of rain but we worked thru it. Now I can relax a bit thru rain & moose season.

From This:
100_7822.JPG

To this:
100_7911.JPG to this 100_7908.JPG 100_7909.JPG

Oh crap, dave. Don't show her my post.
I wouldn't tell my OWN wife something like that either. I'm just kinda' frugal and don't always think.
Holy cow. You two deserve a nice dinner out for all that work.
Uh, where's the tags? ;)

Thats got to feel good to have a stock pile like that!!

Looks great Dave. (Where are the Mountains!!)

Oh crap, dave. Don't show her my post.
I wouldn't tell my OWN wife something like that either. I'm just kinda' frugal and don't always think.
Holy cow. You two deserve a nice dinner out for all that work.
Uh, where's the tags? ;)

I agree should go to dinner tonight, headed out moose hunting for a while though. Maybe she'll stack the rest of the wood in the shed :rolleyes:

Thats got to feel good to have a stock pile like that!!

Looks great Dave. (Where are the Mountains!!)

Clouded over, raining, rainy season is here.
But most my wood will stay dry :) :) :)

You are a machine Dave. I was going to suggest what I do for marking wood, but it looks like your wife has it covered;)

For others, who might be looking, I use a black felt tip marker on the end of splits front, back and end of the stacks. When I move wood into the wood shed, it is an entire stack. Sometimes in a stack, if I transition to newer wood, I just cross stack and end and label accordingly. It only takes a minute to label the ends of enough splits to identify the stacks and it lasts years.
IMG_20120422_183359.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Looks good Dave. You've been a busy man. You deserve some time to go hunting. Don't forget to give the wife a bit more attention too as she deserves it for helping. As for the stacking, that is one thing I really don't want my wife doing. However, she did move (restack) just a little wood that was left over in the barn and did a great job. That is a first for her! Yes, I patted her on the back too along with a couple atta boys.

Very nice Dave. Its a nice feeling to know your ahead of the game and I always feel like its money in the bank to me. I see more room for moose antlers!
I use my cell phone and take pics all the time of where and when I get wood. I then take pics in the stacks and use this for managing the wood piles as needed. For me its really going to help because the last few years I have piled up good quanities besides ash of ironwood, locust, hickory, bur oak etc.. and this way I can be a little more sure of what I'm burning after its finished seasoning and some will be a little harder to identify.

um...
i actually write the species and date it was split on EACH piece of wood.:)

Reactions: PapaDave
Lots of hard work that's great to look at. Liking the labels!

Labeling wood . . . those crazy wood burners at hearth.com . . . what will they do next? ;) :)

I too have a problem . . . I've nailed a shingle with the date I've split and stacked my outside wood piles (2011 and 2012) . . . and then I date the wood (outside rows only) in my woodshed as to when I put them inside. I'm looking forward to starting out this burning season with some vintage 2009 wood that was left over from a few years back . . . I hear it was a good year.

Attachments

• smallerwood.jpg
    smallerwood.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: tfdchief and schlot
+1 on that.
It does feel good to have a wood management problem. I've never had this much wood to move around to get ready for cutting season.

My weakest wood collection is 12/13, I remember having back surgery 2 winters ago (no wood got processed) & then had to burn an extra cord last winter.
Burning the back row of the 13/14 wood is part of my contingency plan.
Now to remember which section of the shed is for what burn season LOL :)

Gotta be nuts to put this much planning & thought into firewood. *(& I am)
Wife just mad these, to nail to the sections, front & back , laminated. 6 years of labels. She even helped stack yesterday. She's lov'n the heat more & more :)

View attachment 72939 View attachment 72940

You have a keeper there!

Status
Not open for further replies.