$1400 Isle Royal + pipe is it worth it ? Merged with stove now cleaned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1298022843 Tell everybody here where to get'em. No source after people asking for years. The regular ceramic firebrick are all over the place for three bucks.[/quote]

My Father-in law was looking for firebrick (he wanted the heavier ones), so I phoned this place:
http://flame.mb.ca/

And they quoted me $2.89 ea. I then asked him if they were the light ones, and he said yes.

So I ordered 6 from Home Hardware for $3.29 ea. When they arrived, they were the pumice ones. Father in law took 'em anyway. :)

http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...7l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5540391?Ntt=firebrick

I dunno much about the IR, just that it enjoys a good reputation around here, and I believe it is known as liking to "run hot". . .likes to cruise @, say, 600+F, which the math says will throw a lot more heat than a stove cruising @ 500F. I s'pose that would also mean it likes to burn wood more a bit more quickly, but I haven't seen many complaints on IR burn times. The 2 mods commenting in this thread have both said before that they would own an IR. . .must mean somethin'. :) Regarding the deal, you can get 20' of Selkirk SuperVent stainless class A pipe for ~ $500 at Lowe's. Some have questioned the quality, but it would be *new*, with a warranty and return privileges. Sometimes stuff gets kludged in an install. . .I wouldn't pay for that used pipe before disassembly and inspection. Also, it's almost spring. IMO, the seller should be more flexible on price, or she might not get a buyer until Sept. :p It's going to be ~ 77F here today, and warm all week, probably similar in PA...buyer's market for stoves. :)

As I had said before - the current owners were not kind to that stove, but I think the tubes will probably clean up well. I would also venture a guess the the baffles are probably serviceable, but do your due diligence in getting the facts.

Jags said:
As I had said before - the current owners were not kind to that stove, but I think the tubes will probably clean up well. I would also venture a guess the the baffles are probably serviceable, but do your due diligence in getting the facts.

ive got pics and ive asked her all the questions you have told me jegs...... am i missin something when you say diligence in getting the facts??

Chrism said:
Jags said:

ive got pics and ive asked her all the questions you have told me jegs...... am i missin something when you say diligence in getting the facts??

Nope - your going about it the right way.

thats good but now DEN brought up a good point about inspecting the pipe. What should i look for in the pipe ? pitting and how dirty it is ???

You should be concerned with the overall condition. Dents, dings bends in the joints. Chances are, it should be in pretty good shape. Stainless really doesn't pit. If its dirty - clean it.

From the picture it doesn't look beat up I'm gonna go out there wed to look at it if something concerns me ill post a picture and hopefully someone on this page can get back to me asap. Ill see what happens. Again thanks to everyone who made me become more knowledgeable about stoves!!!

So far the stove and pipe show normal use, but not abuse. That's a good sign.

Thanks moderator me not knowing a lot about stoves thought the stove was beat up bad .
The inside scared me!!!!!

Yeah, I'm talking about dent/bend type of stuff that may have happened during the installation. The pipe = many pieces, I wouldn't want to pay for it without seeing all of the pieces come apart and go back together nicely. Also, if it turns out that you need more pipe, you will have to buy the same kind (both for fitment and to meet code, I believe), and you may be stuck buying a $$$ brand of pipe. I'm just playing devil's advocate, I guess. The IR has a lot of fans, but you don't seem particularly thrilled with it, and if the pipe doesn't work for you, the deal isn't exceptional, IMO.

I was thinking somewhat the opposite. Wondering if this is Simpson DuraVent pipe? The lack of creosote staining indicates clean burning or low use.

im not a fan cause the stove inside looks like sh%$!!!! she said she was gonna clean it out and send me another pic around 4pm 5pm tonight so if possible check back later and give me some input when she cleans it . Thanks guys .

The inside will look better when the stovetop is 650, the secondary burn is going nuts, and the house is 74. :)

It could be worse. There's only a little darkness on the glass. It's got the side warming trays, which I don't have.

i just stopped down to the quadrafire dealer and took a look at the brand new IR. There is not much to the stove at all i was shocked!! so now im thinkin its a good deal before i was not sure.

Priced it out? I'm guessing new the quote would be about $3600 for stove & pipe.

could see stove a little better

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 257
That rear brick looks overfired.
Shawn

i was just wondering with a little TLC (putting in new parts ie. bricks ,brick retainer, and possibly a new baffle) would it be worth it. the stove brand new is $2600 even if i were to spend $300 to fix her up its still quite a bit of savings $900.

It sounds like a lot for a used stove that looks like it could use a rebuild. But I don't know how the inside is supposed to look like. I guess it could be worth it if they drop the price by whatever it would cost to bring it back to like new in condition. That could be your bargaining point. Have you contacted the seller and discussed a bottom line? I'm sure they will have a hard time selling this stove + pipe for $1400 in this economy.

Keep in mind if that piping is in good shape, it alone is worth at least a grand. So you can look at it as your getting the stove for $400.00.
If the shell looks ok, and you just need the brick, retainer and even a baffle. Still not a bad deal. Of course you can have a new Englander 30 at the right time for about $500.00.
Seems like you really like the stove. But the end decision is how much do you want to out into it before install? Stove & pipe for $1,400.00 is still a good deal IMO. But you have to weight in what you need to sink in before install.

Chrism said:
i was just wondering with a little TLC (putting in new parts ie. bricks ,brick retainer, and possibly a new baffle) would it be worth it. the stove brand new is $2600 even if i were to spend $300 to fix her up its still quite a bit of savings $900.

For $1700 you could either find a new stove to perform just as well. $1700 for a used stove is not worth it for that size stove.

Here are two Oslos that are in your area:

Jotul Oslo $1700:
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/hsh/2147605825.html

Jotul Oslo $1200:
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/2212935246.html

I burn an IR and I'm not seeing anything wrong with it that some TLC such as you've discussed wouldn't cure. It looks no different the the IR that was in place when we bought our house and after we replaced the bricks and gaskets, bought a tube of stove polish and cleaned the glass, it looked new and burns great. IMHO, the IR is a strong, honest stove, built to last. Can't tell if this one has been abused, though certainly used. At least you know that if it hasn't warped yet, it's likely not to, used with a little common sense. Is it worth the price? I don't know, but I think it is well worth the chance bought used, especially as it was posted that the pipe alone is worth $1K. JMO. Does it come with a rear heat shield? If it does, I think you can add that to the plus column as to buy new, I think you need to purchase it in addition to a stove (if your installation plans call for it).

Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies.