15 Degrees!!! I'm glad to be back to burning wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
15 degrees this mourning hear in Idaho Falls!! Yeah it's cold. I did get an 8 hour burn last night too. Thought that was very good for my old stove. Pat

We have almost a foot of snow and the temps are going to be in the low teens tonight. Winter is here for us.

gmule said:
We have almost a foot of snow and the temps are going to be in the low teens tonight. Winter is here for us.

My cousin lives in Denver, he said they just got their first snow too. Good thing your prepared!

gmule said:

I am jealous....can't wait for snow.....weve been burning little fires to take the chill off, but it hasn't been below 32 here....yet.....

Glad I'm living in Alaska.
No snow for me yet & coldest has been mid 20s. Alaskans LOVE "Global warming"

I was happy it was ~35* this afternoon and the sun was out. Made for working outside 1/2 way decent.

gmule said:

gmule, hold that snow for a bit, I have three more cord plus some milling to do.

zap

Zap, you might get a taste of it very soon. We don't want it for a couple weeks yet. Mid November is not bad for first snow and besides, it is nice for rifle deer season.

Weather folks here keep predicting snow, we've been lucky. None yet. But anytime.
Snow predicted again tonight. 20s last night, clear & heavy frost, small lake out back has ice. Maybe mid 30s for the high today.
We don't get many Halloweens with out snow. Usually wet slushy stuff that freezes at night & makes all the side roads treacherous.
Maybe this will be a snow free Halloween, bit I have my doubts. Be nice though.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, you might get a taste of it very soon. We don't want it for a couple weeks yet. Mid November is not bad for first snow and besides, it is nice for rifle deer season.

Dennis, HVAC inspector was telling us today that he was in Gaylord and the snow was coming down pretty good.
The worst of that usually dies off before getting to us. :coolsmile:

Glad I’m living in Alaska.
No snow for me yet & coldest has been mid 20s. Alaskans LOVE “Global warmingâ€

I thought those pics you showed us of you cutting wood had snow in them? Or does only a foot or more count as real snow where you are?

PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, HVAC inspector was telling us today that he was in Gaylord and the snow was coming down pretty good.
The worst of that usually dies off before getting to us. :coolsmile:

That sounds about right Dave. When we lived in Gaylord and I would head east it wasn't long before we'd run out of snow. Then returning, we'd get a wake up call with all the snow.

weatherguy:
lol
I was up closer to the Mt.s in the cutting area. Only about 15 miles away but higher up & in a colder area closer to the glacier.
I have had about 1/16 inch of sow that melted that day so I didn't count it.
Being closer to the salt water & in a rain shadow where I live helps, Rain here is snow sometimes 5 or 10 miles away.
"Rain shadow" for me also many times means wind tunnel. (down sloping winds) :)
The farther up the pass you drive past the cutting area, the more snow on the ground.
Just none in my yard, (Yet!) But our "noon" shadows are long & pointing due North now.
Highway cameras just 2 miles from my location:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/ro...?areaId=9&perspectiveId=1&siteId=230&viewId=1

That's cool! I was wondering what those poles were! They just put them up this summer.

For the sake of geographic diversity, couple hours of the heavy white stuff mixed with some rain Thursday afternoon...no accumulation.

Late here and just about to hit the sub freezing temp mark.

Greetings to all from Northern Northern New Jersey and happy burning.

Littlalex

littlalex said:
For the sake of geographic diversity, couple hours of the heavy white stuff mixed with some rain Thursday afternoon...no accumulation.

Late here and just about to hit the sub freezing temp mark.

Greetings to all from Northern Northern New Jersey and happy burning.

Littlalex

Winter soon for many of us, Some already have it.
keep your wood dry :)

bogydave said:
weatherguy:
lol
I was up closer to the Mt.s in the cutting area. Only about 15 miles away but higher up & in a colder area closer to the glacier.
I have had about 1/16 inch of sow that melted that day so I didn't count it.
Being closer to the salt water & in a rain shadow where I live helps, Rain here is snow sometimes 5 or 10 miles away.
"Rain shadow" for me also many times means wind tunnel. (down sloping winds) :)
The farther up the pass you drive past the cutting area, the more snow on the ground.
Just none in my yard, (Yet!) But our "noon" shadows are long & pointing due North now.
Highway cameras just 2 miles from my location:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/ro...?areaId=9&perspectiveId=1&siteId=230&viewId=1

where you cutting your wood? you using the state permits?

how hard is it to get back to the wood on soapstone? c ould i get my car hauler near it yoru think? id like to load a buncha logs on it.

greythorn3 said:
how hard is it to get back to the wood on soapstone? c ould i get my car hauler near it yoru think? id like to load a buncha logs on it.
easy stuff has been gone for months. I never got any of the easy stuff. A new cutting area may open up near Sutton. Forestry guy says allot easier wood then, In the mine area. When is the issue.
His number is on the web stie. He's a Nice guy. Helpful.

thanks for the info i will have to give him a call. i guess i might beable to drag logs to the trailer with a atv. i just prefer to haul it back in log form. easier to strap down to a flatbed car hauler.

Status
Not open for further replies.