1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

15 yr. old gas insert worth anything?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by CJW88, Nov 9, 2010.

1. CJW88

CJW88 New Member

Loc:
    northern, WI
    I took a 15 yr. old Majestice direct vent gas insert out of my mom's house to install a wood stove. Per the troubleshooting guide in the back of the owners manual it looks like the thermogenerator or the automatic valve is bad because the pilot won't stay lit. Even if this was fixed would the insert be worth anything? I know that in recent years they have probably become much more efficient.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    After 15 years, I'd say junk it, but I also tell people to set the old stuff out by the curb with a "FREE" sign on it.
    It'll magically disappear...
  3. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Junk it.
  4. CJW88

CJW88 New Member

Loc:
    northern, WI
    You're confirming my suspicions.

Thanks
  5. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Its just barly worth the metal it was made out of :)
  6. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Id say if you fixed it it would be worth $300-$500 to someone, especially if the liner kit comes with it. A new gas insert of decent quality would cost close to $2000 minimum. Someone may want to increase the efficiency of their fireplace but just cant afford $2K. I would fix it (if its only the thermo) and toss it on CL for $500. Now would be the time to do it, with the cold weather coming. Gas inserts are fairly simple animals. Most folks would need lab equipment to notice the efficiency different from most that are made today compared with one that is 15 years old.