15 yr. old gas insert worth anything?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJW88

Oct 9, 2010
northern, WI
I took a 15 yr. old Majestice direct vent gas insert out of my mom's house to install a wood stove. Per the troubleshooting guide in the back of the owners manual it looks like the thermogenerator or the automatic valve is bad because the pilot won't stay lit. Even if this was fixed would the insert be worth anything? I know that in recent years they have probably become much more efficient.

Any ideas?

Thanks

After 15 years, I'd say junk it, but I also tell people to set the old stuff out by the curb with a "FREE" sign on it.
It'll magically disappear...

Its just barly worth the metal it was made out of :)

Id say if you fixed it it would be worth $300-$500 to someone, especially if the liner kit comes with it. A new gas insert of decent quality would cost close to $2000 minimum. Someone may want to increase the efficiency of their fireplace but just cant afford $2K. I would fix it (if its only the thermo) and toss it on CL for $500. Now would be the time to do it, with the cold weather coming. Gas inserts are fairly simple animals. Most folks would need lab equipment to notice the efficiency different from most that are made today compared with one that is 15 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.