150,000+ BTU Wood Fireplace - Experiences?

NapaOgden Posted By NapaOgden, Sep 11, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NapaOgden

NapaOgden
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 11, 2006
    Has anyone had experience with Country Flame "Inglenook" or "Smart" wood fireplaces. Do they really produce 150,000 to 175,000 BTUs per hour with cordwood? I am planning to connect one into my existing HVAC ducting using their standard dual 525 CFM blowers which should almost match my furnace output. Words of wisdom appreciated
    Ref http://www.countryflame.com/inglenook.php
    Thank you, Adrian

2. wg_bent

wg_bent
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I've seen the Ingelnook. A beast of a fireplace, and Looks nice. The Smart I'm doubtful of it since it's not a woodstove design that limits combustion air nor is it a masonry heater so it will waste wood and polute a lot it would seem. It produces a lot of BTUs per hour, but so does an open fire pit.

3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 23, 2006
    Loc:
    Boulder County
    Its a EPA fireplace warren... actually suprising that the GPH are that low on a fireplace that big. I dont know any thing more then i can read on the brocher so i dont have much else to say, except that you cant hook it up to your existiong furnice ducting leagly unless it says you can, most can use there own ductwork but not hook up to your furnace.

4. HarryBack

HarryBack
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 27, 2005
    Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    any specs on the expected efficiency of the unit, in-situ?

5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    72% efficiency at 4.4 grams per hour isn't wasting a heck of a lot. That thing is a bear and takes twenty-four inch logs.

The manual says you can only use their duct kits, which route the air out through registers into the room, not the central system ductwork. So you would probably get busted on the inspection if you tied into your central system ductwork.

6. Corie

Corie
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Guys,

Warren is first talking about the Inglenook, and secondly talking about the Smart Fireplace. They are two different units.

The first unit is the one that looks like it functions similar to a Quad 7100, where the "Smart Fireplace" looks like an open fireplace with very effective heat exchangers. I see no mention of the "smart fireplace" being EPA certified in the brochure, unless I missed it.

7. wg_bent

wg_bent
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    "

Yes, exactly, I don't think the "Smart" is an EPA certified unit. A more efficient fireplace perhaps.

But then again, I have a fire burning in the back yard at the moment... I'll improve the efficiency by moving the rocks surrounding it into the garage. But that doesn't make it "efficient"

8. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 23, 2006
    Loc:
    Boulder County
    Im lost, the link points to a EPA fireplace..... i will go back and look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.