1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

150,000+ BTU Wood Fireplace - Experiences?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by NapaOgden, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NapaOgden

NapaOgden New Member

Has anyone had experience with Country Flame "Inglenook" or "Smart" wood fireplaces. Do they really produce 150,000 to 175,000 BTUs per hour with cordwood? I am planning to connect one into my existing HVAC ducting using their standard dual 525 CFM blowers which should almost match my furnace output. Words of wisdom appreciated
    Ref http://www.countryflame.com/inglenook.php
    Thank you, Adrian

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I've seen the Ingelnook. A beast of a fireplace, and Looks nice. The Smart I'm doubtful of it since it's not a woodstove design that limits combustion air nor is it a masonry heater so it will waste wood and polute a lot it would seem. It produces a lot of BTUs per hour, but so does an open fire pit.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Its a EPA fireplace warren... actually suprising that the GPH are that low on a fireplace that big. I dont know any thing more then i can read on the brocher so i dont have much else to say, except that you cant hook it up to your existiong furnice ducting leagly unless it says you can, most can use there own ductwork but not hook up to your furnace.
  4. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    any specs on the expected efficiency of the unit, in-situ?
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    72% efficiency at 4.4 grams per hour isn't wasting a heck of a lot. That thing is a bear and takes twenty-four inch logs.

The manual says you can only use their duct kits, which route the air out through registers into the room, not the central system ductwork. So you would probably get busted on the inspection if you tied into your central system ductwork.
  6. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Guys,

Warren is first talking about the Inglenook, and secondly talking about the Smart Fireplace. They are two different units.

The first unit is the one that looks like it functions similar to a Quad 7100, where the "Smart Fireplace" looks like an open fireplace with very effective heat exchangers. I see no mention of the "smart fireplace" being EPA certified in the brochure, unless I missed it.
  7. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    "

Yes, exactly, I don't think the "Smart" is an EPA certified unit. A more efficient fireplace perhaps.

But then again, I have a fire burning in the back yard at the moment... I'll improve the efficiency by moving the rocks surrounding it into the garage. But that doesn't make it "efficient"
  8. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Im lost, the link points to a EPA fireplace..... i will go back and look.
  9. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.