$1500 for 10 Yr Old Harman Accentra?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdawg

Nov 3, 2011
Central, MA
Is that a good deal? Or a little pricey for such an old stove? Seller said it's in good condition. He's never had an issue with it. He did replace the blower about three years ago but that's it. I know the age is just a number and the condition is more important but if it's been working so great for him, I can safely say that when my turn comes with the stove, I'll need to start replacing everything so no wiggl? Newbie looking for advice! What would you experts do? Pass? Seller is also very firm on price so no wiggle room there. Let me know your thoughts. I'm going to see it tomorrow. Also looking at an "old" perfect working condition Austroflamm for $1300, age unknown. That's probably not a good deal either, right? LOL. I should just suck it up and get another new stove but I'm too cheap to go that route! Not unless I have to. More money spent on stoves means less money to spend on PELLETS! Thanks!

hotdawg said:
Is that a good deal? Or a little pricey for such an old stove? Seller said it's in good condition. He's never had an issue with it. He did replace the blower about three years ago but that's it. I know the age is just a number and the condition is more important but if it's been working so great for him, I can safely say that when my turn comes with the stove, I'll need to start replacing everything so no wiggl? Newbie looking for advice! What would you experts do? Pass? Seller is also very firm on price so no wiggle room there. Let me know your thoughts. I'm going to see it tomorrow. Also looking at an "old" perfect working condition Austroflamm for $1300, age unknown. That's probably not a good deal either, right? LOL. I should just suck it up and get another new stove but I'm too cheap to go that route! Not unless I have to. More money spent on stoves means less money to spend on PELLETS! Thanks!

I would look around. I got my used 06 accentra for $600 bucks. It came with 11 bags of pellets, $300 dollars of pipe, and a cheetah ash vac. There are deals out there but you've got to be patient. But for that price you pretty close to a new one. There is a stove/hardware store selling Accentra FS for $2800 before the $100 credit from harman and the tax credit. So really you could get this stove for $2400...so do some shopping...

$1,300 for a 10 year old stove? Would you pay $15,000 for a 10 year old Chevy?

Thanks. Just needed you guys to talk some sense into me. Getting a lot of pressure from the home front. Apparently if I don't put a second pellet stove into the family room by this week the kids are going to freeze to death. Not sure how we survived all these years without a pellet stove but if you talk to my wife that's the story she's spreading. Didn't really budget for a second stove this year so looking at the used route. All the prices are pretty inflated right now. Either way, thanks. I'll pass on those stoves and wait it out. Hopefully some good deals will come my way (soon)!

CygnusX1 said:
$1,300 for a 10 year old stove? Would you pay $15,000 for a 10 year old Chevy?

$15,000 for a 2002 Corvette ZO6 with 2500 miles....yes please!

hotdawg said:

Only if it's still strapped to a pallet and has never been fired.

John97 said:
hotdawg said:

And it comes with a weekend alone with Shania Twain

richg said:
John97 said:
hotdawg said:

And it comes with a weekend alone with Shania Twain

She'd Kill Ya!

When we were researching which stove to buy I discovered that at some point in the past, before 2008 I believe, Harman had igniter problems with the Accentra and there was an issue with a series of holes at the bottom of the burn pot as well. Just something to be aware of.

Lucky me, I got my Accentra in late 2008! Love it, love it..72 in the house and it's only going at half bore!!

It's nice to most of the advice to the OP about what a used Harman is worth is coming from folks who don't own them. I own two Harmans and yes, they cost more money than most stoves. They also hold their value very well. The reason for that is that they are head and shoulders above most due to the quality of construction, engineering, and operation. IMO, a Harman is the Mercedes Benz of stoves. You get what you pay for. My 1996 Invincible RS could be sold for $1000-$1200 today. I was just on CL last week and there were several there in that price range.

$1500 for a 10 year old Accentra isn't out of line if it's in excellent condition. Have you check your local CL for comparison Accentra pricing?

Edit..here is just a sampling of CL today:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/hsh/2760041156.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/hsh/2745329269.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/hsh/2760059395.html

I was patient and shopped around and ended up with a lightly used 4 year old Advance for $1700. It was by far the best deal i found. This is a tough time of year to buy i would think and Harman does seem to hold their value very well

Harman Lover 007 said:
It's nice to most of the advice to the OP about what a used Harman is worth is coming from folks who don't own them.

Most folks don't own them for a reason, price being a major one.
Not trying to stir up trouble, I hear you on the Harman quality. My father has always owned Harman
but a quality stove can be had for less money. Especially when shopping used.
Even late season deals can be had at stove shops. I bought my M55 off season for $2,600 brand new.

I troll Craigslist as often as this forum, and there are deals to be had, but you have to be patient and jump on a deal
as soon as you see it. FWIW those links have been posted and re-posted on Craigslist for months....Overpriced IMO.

I'm not trying to advertise, but as a comparison, I have a Invincible Insert for 2800 delivered, and installed with liner and a 1 year warranty on the entire unit. Alone, the unit may be about 1400 but I cannot warranty a stove I cannot verify the install of. Yes, the unit is pretty old, but I went through it and added a brand new control board for good measure. To me, it's new. $1500 for a used Accentra isn't such a bad deal, but without the confidence that it is in perfect running condition may be a little harder to swallow. It's all about risk.

Rules for buying a used pellet stove. NEVER buy anything you cannot watch run through the start up and running cycle to make sure it all works. Typically, if someone buys a used stove and I install it, I'll drop a warranty on it if they agree to replace anything I see as questionable. A used Harman is typically a great deal no matter what so long as the price is at least half of what it sells for new. A used Austroflamme...if it was made in the 1990's is also a great deal for that price.

I bought my Harman Invincible RS 3 years ago for 1000 dollars
best money I've spent
runs like a top and heats great
quality is outstanding
easy to work on
no bells and whistles to break
set it and forget it
it will be around long after I'm gone
if I can find another one I will buy it
and I do not need another stove

I have an appointment to see the Accentra today. I didn't want to cancel last minute on the guy. I'm curious now to see what a 10 year old Accentra looks like. He's selling the backup battery, piping and hearth pad with the stove for the price. I'll post some pics if he will let me take them. Also will probably look at the Austroflamm for the heck of it. It's pretty close to where I am. Plus that seller said he replaced the control board and barrel fan last year so the stove runs "like new".

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I just needed some help filtering through everything and hopefully finding a great deal. I've been checking Craigslist every day so maybe something will pop up soon.

hotdawg said:
I have an appointment to see the Accentra today. I didn't want to cancel last minute on the guy. I'm curious now to see what a 10 year old Accentra looks like. He's selling the backup battery, piping and hearth pad with the stove for the price. I'll post some pics if he will let me take them. Also will probably look at the Austroflamm for the heck of it. It's pretty close to where I am. Plus that seller said he replaced the control board and barrel fan last year so the stove runs "like new".

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I just needed some help filtering through everything and hopefully finding a great deal. I've been checking Craigslist every day so maybe something will pop up soon.

with the extras I would say its a good deal

hotdawg said:

Might just be a decent deal. With extras can't go wrong. My advice is make sure it doesn't have the gummy stove dieses. Mine had it and I didn't know it until I tore it apart. Love my Accentra and you won't go wrong.

Yep, a good deal with all the goodies, the only question is does the stove work? You should be able to look at it and get a good idea if they took care of it or just ran week in and week out without any maintenance. Personally, I love cleaning my stove each weekend.

If you end up buying it, do yourself a huge favor and plan for a tear down cleaning when you get it home.

Yeah, I'm a little hesitant about used stoves because of the whole "tear down" factor. I've never done it and reading some of the posts, many things can go awry when doing deep cleaning and putting it back together. Think I'm up for the challenge but also nervous I might wreck it somehow! LOL. I'm heading out later to see it and will report back. I do like all the extras! Somehow the price doesn't seem so bad when they throw in extras!

hotdawg said:

If the battery back up is the shurefire sentry, that id a $500 value right there. Sounds like a winner to me. Stove will not have the air crossover kit due to its age but is simple enough to retrofit. If you can locate it (down load a manual before you go) pull the pellet feed slide plate out and look for signs of creosote on the bottom and within the collection box. If there is....i would knock off 300 for the service it will require to remove it. When you get out to the Austroflamme, make sure the raker rods move up and down. Bring a metric allan key set and remove the firebox backing panels and inspect for creosote. Same deal 300 less.

Status
Not open for further replies.