• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Those are the bar sizes I have used so far and I have the 36 for milling if the mill ever gets in. Looking for something bigger then the 20 for bucking when using the 660, what would be a nice size bar be for some of the old maples we have that will come down sometime.

Zap

24 is a good size. You have to get into some big stuff before it is too small, but is still a manageable size for normal use. I've used one a couple times and might get one for my saw too.

lukem said:
24 is a good size. You have to get into some big stuff before it is too small, but is still a manageable size for normal use. I've used one a couple times and might get one for my saw too.

Just saw on ebay a 660 with a twenty five inch bar, 24 or 25 sounds good.

Zap

One thing to remember is that with the alaskan mill you lose some capacity once its clamped on the bar.36" bar & mill size means max is 32" logs.

I'd suggest 28" or 30" bars for possible future use on those bigger trees you mentioned.My Poulan 475 & recently purchased used Husky 288XP have the same mount pattern,so I use 24" or 36" on either powerhead,depending on my needs at the time.Gonna order 30" b/c combo in a few weeks,if finances allow it.

I really like the 28" on my 7900. I leave it on all the time. It's a bit nose heavy, but it saves a lot of bending.
I went to buy a RSC chain for my 270 yesterday, but the dealer didn't have an 18" chain. I was thinking about switching to a 16" anyway, so he sold me a b&c for 'his cost', which was $45 and change with tax. Don't know if that's good or not, it was my first visit to a Stihl dealer. I'll see how I like it Monday.

I have a 14,20,28,32,41.....My Favorite it the 28. Think I have a 16 to.

smokinjay said:

Dropped the 310 off this morning and picked up the 28 inch bar with two chains for the 660.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3245.jpg
    100_3245.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 508
Hey zap, keep in mind if you ever need to borrow a 42 inch bar+chain I'd be glad to send it up to yah. Its set for 3/8 chain-I'd suspect it would fit on your 660.

maxed_out said:
Hey zap, keep in mind if you ever need to borrow a 42 inch bar+chain I'd be glad to send it up to yah. Its set for 3/8 chain-I'd suspect it would fit on your 660.

Thanks for the offer maxed_out, most trees that big on our property would be pine and maybe a few old maples.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Dropped the 310 off this morning and picked up the 28 inch bar with two chains for the 660.

Zap

Ahhh I remember mine looking that good wished I would have took a pic! Those es bar do really hold up even the paint....... :cheese:

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Ahhh I remember mine looking that good wished I would have took a pic! Those es bar do really hold up even the
paint....... :cheese:

I cut most of a cord the other day with the new Stihl bar on my 270, and it does still look like new. I think the paint started wearing off after a couple of cuts with both my Oregon and Carlton bars.

zap, I have a 25 inch for cutting on the 660, it is a geat size. 28 should be nice too. 36 is saved mainly for milling with me too. You could have just bought that mill straight from Granberg and had it in a couple of days.

zapny said:

Zap

That should give a nice balance for the 660 power head. I would think that the 25" was also a good contender. Its a bit nose heavy on the 361, but you have a little more weight that would have balanced it out nicely. Awesome setup, Zap.

Hey Zap nothin wrong with a nice slab of adk pine. 42 inches would make a nice island or bartop. I'd take a piece if you ever got one like that.

maxed_out said:
Hey Zap nothin wrong with a nice slab of adk pine. 42 inches would make a nice island or bartop. I'd take a piece if you ever got one like that.

We have some big ones still standing so I will take the tape back in and see how big.

Zap

maxed_out said:

maxed_out, looks like 32 inches wide is the biggest I can go with the 36 inch bar.

zap

zapny said:
Those are the bar sizes I have used so far and I have the 36 for milling if the mill ever gets in. Looking for something bigger then the 20 for bucking when using the 660, what would be a nice size bar be for some of the old maples we have that will come down sometime.

Zap

I put a 25 on my new saw. I don't recommend it, per se, but I don't not recommend it either

I am here to help

You are welcome

zap, Yeah I guess you lose a little for the mounting setup. Still not too shabby. Have you started milling anything yet?

maxed_out said:
zap, Yeah I guess you lose a little for the mounting setup. Still not too shabby. Have you started milling anything yet?

Not yet, I'm waiting for the aux. oiler and mini mill which should be in next Friday or the following week.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.