16" Log Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverrude

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
Anybody use one of these and if so how’d you like it? I have an opportunity to pick one up new for $100. Pit Bull Model # CHIM00014. 120V, 16" blade w/40 teeth.

Attachments

• logsaw.jpg
    logsaw.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 577
  • logsaw.jpg
    logsaw.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 563
Seems like you would only be able to cut relatively small logs with a 16-inch blade. Personally, I can't see the benefit over a chainsaw.

Pete

If I was closer to the railroad salvage store I would pick me one up for shortening splits that I screwed up and cut too long.

If it has power, it should be ideal.

The benefits over a chainsaw is that it is faster and less waste (smaller cut so less sawdust). If anyone has ever used a buzz saw they will understand just how much faster this is on the smaller wood. Naturally, on the butt ends of the trees that will be too large for cutting with this jig, but cutting small trees and cutting the limbs with this can really speed things up; especially with two or three people. We used to use a buzz saw mounted on the front of the tractor when our two sons were still home. We could cut a lot of wood per day this way! A lot.

BrotherBart said:
If I was closer to the railroad salvage store I would pick me one up for shortening splits that I screwed up and cut too long.

That’s were I’m headed right after work. :)

neverrude...save your money...that's a bs gimmick.

sounds like pvc pipe cutting blade and set up (but I use a finish saw for the little I do)

savageactor7 said:
neverrude...save your money...that's a bs gimmick.

Wish I would have see your post before I went to pick it up. Drove and extra hour round trip after work to pick it and spent about half hour putting it together without a manual.

When I spoke to someone at the store yesterday he told me it would cut up to 8", it would even cut through a 4x4 because the guard kept hitting the nut that holds the blade on.
The motor took a few seconds to build up too speed and started to stall after it cut about 3".
It’s going back to store ASAP :mad:

I think billb had it right. Sounds like it's for cutting plastic pipe. That's a lot easier task than cutting wood.

This is the add that was posted on craiglist.

Log Saw for sale, Pit Bull Model # CHIM00014. 120V, 16" blade w/40 teeth. Was $169, down to $99! Available at Railroad Salvage, 557 Englishtown Rd., Monroe, NJ 08831. Open 7 days, Thurs. thru Sunday 9-6, Monday thru Wed. 9-9. PLEASE CALL BEFORE COMING TO THE STORE.

Sounds like the wrong blade and too light of a motor. Good idea though if it were larger.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sounds like the wrong blade and too light of a motor. Good idea though if it were larger.

I agree, i'm going too keep on looking for one that'll do the job and cut up to 6"

I just got off the phone with a manger from Railroad Salvage. They refuse to take back the saw because he said they sold at coast to me. Just be aware how Railroad Salvage operates. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.