16" or 18" splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
Hey all,

My wood deliverer has said that he can supply 18" splits as well as the more traditional 16". My PE Summit can accommodate the larger.

Any words of wisdom as to why or why not order up a pile of 18" splits?

I have 3x cords of very fat 16" wood splits already stacked out there for use much of this year, so the 18s would likely be for next year (or if I feel like trying them this year).

Any thoughts?

If you load your wood front to back and the 16" splits fit that way and the 18" wouldn't fit then stay with the 16". If you load the splits left to right (side to side) you'll get just a little more BTU's from the bigger wood. I try to load as big a piece as my stove takes, but sometimes when cutting I get a little too "happy" and cut it longer than I should even though I use a measuring guide lol!

But (here is my big butt), is combustion better at the centre of the stove? My stove (Jotul 602) is somewhat long and narrow and I find that the back end doesn't burn as well as the front or middle.

I'm also a bit concerned about handling the larger splits. It's hard enough hauling regular loads of 16" splits in from the back porch... let alone bigger ones!

How do folks transport their splits? Last year, after a few years of lugging a large bin in and out, I just said "the heck with it" and just started stacking as much as I could in my cradled arms and hobbled through the house with them, leaving a trail of wood debris, and ending with a big crash as the wood hits the inside of the bin that sits next to the stove. But I digress...

But (here is my big butt), is combustion better at the centre of the stove? My stove (Jotul 602) is somewhat long and narrow and I find that the back end doesn't burn as well as the front or middle.
the back burns slower because your air inlet is in the front of the stove. All stoves the I am aware of will do this, where the air comes in burns the fastest. My stove I had last year was the same way. I haven't fired the princess yet so don't know how it will burn but expecting the same results from it.

the back burns slower because your air inlet is in the front of the stove. All stoves the I am aware of will do this, where the air comes in burns the fastest. My stove I had last year was the same way. I haven't fired the princess yet so don't know how it will burn but expecting the same results from it.
That is what I figured. So does it follow that you get a hotter cleaner fire if you use shorter splits?

I'm also a bit concerned about handling the larger splits. It's hard enough hauling regular loads of 16" splits in from the back porch... let alone bigger ones!

How do folks transport their splits? Last year, after a few years of lugging a large bin in and out, I just said "the heck with it" and just started stacking as much as I could in my cradled arms and hobbled through the house with them, leaving a trail of wood debris, and ending with a big crash as the wood hits the inside of the bin that sits next to the stove. But I digress...
I use those plastic totes. Contains the mess.

That is what I figured. So does it follow that you get a hotter cleaner fire if you use shorter splits?
I haven't noticed a hotter cleaner fire from shorter splits. If your using wood that is dry enough to properly burn you should still have just as hot and clean burn, it will just burn longer. For colder nights I like to get the stove as full as I can, but like someone else said I would go with how you like to load the splits. If you can load the 18" comfortably then go with those. I like to load N/S so I cut everything to 16". But the 18" will get you more BTU's for the money, I cut all my own so I just end up with a few more splits cutting at 16"

If I remember right the Summit is about 20 inches deep n/s so you should be fine with the 18 inch splits. I think it's a 3 cubic foot stove using the 20 inch calculation, leaving 4 inches out you may only have a 2.5 cubic foot stove.(easy enough to do the math if you measure it) I'd go with the 18 inch splits if you're comfortable with handling them, another downside will be the glass may soot up a little bit if the splits get too close when they start outgassing.

Another observation, if the guy is offering you a choice in length this wood is probably still in log form and will not be good for this season.

As for hauling wood in I use a canvas tote similar to the one attached below.

Attachments

• canvas tote.jpg
    canvas tote.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I think those extra two inches of wood will give you a longer burn time. The extra two inches will give off its gases and volatiles during the main part of the burn cycle when the stove is hot. At the end of the burn all that will remain will be the extra two inches of charcoal (or mostly charcoal and a little bit of wood). That extra two inches will burn slowly and not give off a lot of heat, but it will keep the stove hot enough to reload for a while. Charcoal doesn't give off many (or any?) volatiles so it won't create creosote even though the burn may be relatively cool at the end of the burn cycle.

Speaking of wood that's good to use for this year, last year we ended up running out of our "seasoned" wood, and I ended up using about a cord of the wood that was "green" that was delivered and stacked that past fall. Interestingly, there didn't seem to be a huge degradation of performance or burn characteristics!

Speaking of wood that's good to use for this year, last year we ended up running out of our "seasoned" wood, and I ended up using about a cord of the wood that was "green" that was delivered and stacked that past fall. Interestingly, there didn't seem to be a huge degradation of performance or burn characteristics!

Then I have to wonder if your "seasoned" wood was really seasoned. If it's really seasoned you should definitely notice a difference.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Then I have to wonder if your "seasoned" wood was really seasoned. If it's really seasoned you should definitely notice a difference.

This may certainly be true, as our seasoning practice is likely not "state-of-the-art". However, one would think that a year of sitting, under most circumstances, would be better than a fresh load (although we don't now how long previously it was cut).

I've discussed this before no here, but my dad, who lives in central Ontario, where they think they know burning, says folks around there PREFER green wood, and believe it's more efficient and burns better/longer. I try to argue the points with him, but he doesn't budge.

I use 5 gall plastic buckets

If I remember right the Summit is about 20 inches deep n/s so you should be fine with the 18 inch splits. I think it's a 3 cubic foot stove using the 20 inch calculation, leaving 4 inches out you may only have a 2.5 cubic foot stove.(easy enough to do the math if you measure it) I'd go with the 18 inch splits if you're comfortable with handling them, another downside will be the glass may soot up a little bit if the splits get too close when they start outgassing
I have the PE Summit insert front to back loading I go with 16", as 20" wide but not deep

I've discussed this before no here, but my dad, who lives in central Ontario, where they think they know burning, says folks around there PREFER green wood, and believe it's more efficient and burns better/longer. I try to argue the points with him, but he doesn't budge.
;em Ignorance knows no borders

18" is as large as I will go. I try to stay a few inches away from the glass to keep the glass clean, off gassing from the splits tends to cloud up the glass.
In my Summit I will put short pcs on bottom so that they are not bridging from the floor at the back of the stove, to the ledge on the front.
Other times at fresh load, or reload when the coals are burnt down a little more than wanted, I will purposely bridge the wood in this manner, to allow air underneath for easier ignition of the wood.

Reactions: CMAG
It's always a risk having combustion air coming in the front to wash the glass since the burning wood is consumed faster at the front. This can allow logs at the top of the pile to roll into the glass doors or come forward as you open the doors. Luckily no logs have hit my doors very hard.

It's always a risk having combustion air coming in the front to wash the glass since the burning wood is consumed faster at the front. This can allow logs at the top of the pile to roll into the glass doors or come forward as you open the doors. Luckily no logs have hit my doors very hard.
The Summit typically is loaded front to back. No issues with splits rolling out. Another reason to love the Summit as well as a few other big square fire boxes.

Reactions: CMAG
Hey all,

My wood deliverer has said that he can supply 18" splits as well as the more traditional 16". My PE Summit can accommodate the larger.

Any words of wisdom as to why or why not order up a pile of 18" splits?

I have 3x cords of very fat 16" wood splits already stacked out there for use much of this year, so the 18s would likely be for next year (or if I feel like trying them this year).

Any thoughts?

If the stove is designed to take 18", there is no reason to not get it at that length. You can do a quick calculation to see how many more btu's you'll get from that extra 2". It is not a lot but sometimes every little bit helps. And if you happen to be buying the silly face cord, then you'll get a better bargain with the 18" wood.

The Summit typically is loaded front to back. No issues with splits rolling out. Another reason to love the Summit as well as a few other big square fire boxes.
+1 front to back, less burns as your not reaching to the back of the stove, you can see how tight or lose your stack is and you can pack more wood in (as said) nothing will roll forward.

I like 16 inch. Mainly because 3 stacks is 4 feet wide by 8 feet long. Just looks better stacked.o_O

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.