-17° last night, -4 high temp today,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
-17°f last night, not sure I like the weather station that records the low temps, that's just cold.
High got up to -4°f today & I had to fill the wood box dressed like a mummy.
I sure hope this isn't the 2012 trend for my area.
Coldest it's been in a few years here.

Stove don't quite keep up, with all the traffic in & out of the house during the holiday, it got down to 66 inside.
I need to empty the ashes but don't want to cool the stove down & loose the heat for a few hours.
At least the wind isn't blowing, :)

For you folks without winter, enjoy; we are getting one of the coldest we've had in a while.
Stay warm.

Happy New Year. :)

If feel bad for you Dave. I think you must have our winter up there, but you can keep it. I moved some composted leaves today in the yard and there were worms everywhere underneath. What a strange winter down here.

Actually I wish he could share some. We are still catching ticks outside and all kinds of flying bugs hidden in the woodpile sneak in the house..... This is just not right.

We are supposed to do 14 degrees with high winds Tuesday night. Thirty during the day. That will be a shock from the 60+ degree high today. Gonna be time for the 30 to walk and talk. Then mid to high fifties again by Saturday. Go figure.

Bet the worms here will be digging straight down fast Tuesday night though.

bogydave said:
-17°f last night, not sure I like the weather station that records the low temps, that's just cold.

Stove don't quite keep up, with all the traffic in & out of the house during the holiday, it got down to 66 inside.
I need to empty the ashes but don't want to cool the stove down & loose the heat for a few hours.

For you folks without winter, enjoy; we are getting one of the coldest we've had in a while.
Stay warm.

Temps have gone fom 35 degrees at 4:00 o'clock to 40, I'm sure are cold weather is coming.

zap

I saw the weather report showing cold temps tuesday. I'm going to take the 2 year old and the dog up to the mountains and burn as much energy off at 35 degrees I can. I don't want to do it at 10 degrees.

Matt

zapny said:
Temps have gone fom 35 degrees at 4:00 o'clock to 40, I'm sure are cold weather is coming.

zap

Yeah that warm air in front of it can mess ya up. 54 here at almost nine o'clock when I usually load the night burn. But supposed to crash to 30 after midnight. Real hard to set up a stove for that kinds of stuff.

Some of that chill in the air is finally heading to the NorthEast USA. By Wed AM EST, we will be down to 7 degrees as a low in the AM and 18 degrees as the high for the day. This will be the coldest day of the Winter season so far that has run about 5 degrees above normal. This will surely be an eye opener to us as we haven't seen these temps in a long time.

bogydave said:

Stay warm.

I guess your weather will eventually make its way here. I thought of ya today watching alone in the wilderness. Stay warm. Tell them folk to keep the doors shut.

BrotherBart said:
zapny said:

zap

Yeah that warm air in front of it can mess ya up. 54 here at almost nine o'clock when I usually load the night burn. But supposed to crash to 30 after midnight. Real hard to set up a stove for that kinds of stuff.

I've got the PE getting ready for an over night load on a really decent coal bed. The house is at 75F (
cheeky-smiley-003.gif
), but it's going to drop. Erin's working on the 13 as I type.

Raining here, too. I took Murph out in rubber soled muck boots a few minutes ago. It was getting slippery already.

But, I'll take this over last winter, hands down
smilies-30222.png

Always wanted a wood stove that would start out at 200 and go up to seven hundred just before sun-up. Never found one. Damn things work in reverse.

If it warmed up to -4, I'd be out moving firewood, too! Sounds good to me. It was -30 yesterday morning, warmed up to -20. I understand that was the calm before the storm, though, and we have colder weather coming.

Just put DD on the plane last night to go back to college (via a week-long swim training trip in FL). She called from MN and it was a balmy 19 above there. I took advantage of the middle-of-the-night awakening to throw a few more logs on the fire.

DS parked his car a few days ago conveniently in the middle of the circular driveway, centered and at an angle so as to prevent driving around it on either side. I pointed out to him that it was a) not a good location if someone had to get around it, and b) not as warm as it would be in the garage. He assured me that it would be fine. It's still there. Sometimes weather is a more persuasive teacher than a parent; bet he doesn't do that again.

Dave and Snowleopard, we feel for you. I not so fondly recall a few days like that and can say I do not miss them at all. The predicted big freeze and big blow has not come to pass as the forecasters so fondly predicted. Just one more case of trying to make a big story rather than telling it like it really is...

Thanks. The sympathy is, in fact, appreciated.

I let the cat out about 6 this morning while I was tending the stove and cleaning the kitchen. About 15-20 minutes later, I picked her ball up from the kitchen floor, connected a few dots, and then sprinted for the door. She was in like a shot. Her ears got super-cold, and would probably have frozen in another 20 minutes or so. That was playing it too close.

I broke down and set up a litter box for her in the sunroom. Dang it.

Now that I think about it, she's probably the one who deserves the sympathy.

Just checked w/NOAA for an update, and no break in near sight for the weather.

However, a few cheering thoughts: record cold today, set in 1969, was -60F. Yes, Dixie, that's below zero. And it's only -40 in town right now. Lots warmer.

Relative humidity is 72%. Thus, I get to say it: "It's not the cold, it's the humidity."

[rimshot]

Ahh, Snow, the litter box will probably be a big hit. When there's 2-3 feet of snow outside, our guys don't go out.

It's a small price :)

bogydave said:

Stay warm.

I just talked to Paul's Contracting in Alaska(the Atmos dealer). I told him I burned about 4 cord a year, he laughed, some burn 17 to 20 cord there he said. Paul said you go through a lot of wood when it's 40 below for days on end./// You're lucky its only -17, we get that in Wisconsin, Randy

Stay warm Dave and Snow. That's friggin cold. How much wood do each of you burn a year. What are you heating, and heating with? I wish you guys some nice warm fires for the next 5 months!

-10° now, stove is keeping up but I'm burning twice as much wood. Less traffic in & out helps.
It's hard to do a "hot coals burn down" when this cold.
I did empty the ashes last night, & got it burning hot again pretty quick. Lots of hot coals In the 2 buckets but I need more the room for wood.
I hope it gets to the teens Thur. like forecast, that would be about a 30° increase :)

Attachments

• 100_7076.jpg
    100_7076.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 310
Not judging, just always found it interesting where people choose to live.
Hoping to move soon-
Kenny in NY :bug:

kenny chaos said:
Not judging, just always found it interesting where people choose to live.
Hoping to move soon-
Kenny in NY :bug:

Interesting for sure; Many good reasons for everyone to be where they are.
BUUUUT the grass is always greener ;)

But if I could be in Southern California for Dec Jan & Feb, :)
Millions of ducks & geese can't be wrong , they leave in Sept. :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Ahh, Snow, the litter box will probably be a big hit. When there's 2-3 feet of snow outside, our guys don't go out.

It's a small price :)

Michelle goes out in the snow. And comes back with mice!!

I've seen pictures of your Black Panther; the other mice probably leave the `last-picked-for-mouseball' ones tied out for her convenience. Cat has been going out regularly up until now. She seems to consider -25 her cutoff point. Can't say I disagree.

Dix, I agree, small price. Odd, I've read about people who have a hard time convincing their cat to use a litterbox, cats that are fussy about location, etc.. This is just the opposite: cat has been trying to persuade me all week that installation of modern indoor facilities would be a nice upgrade. Leaves brochures sitting around, bookmarks websites, says it will make the place more marketable, etc. Come to think of it, I believe there was a no-cats-upstairs-rule around here, which morphed into a no-cats-on-the-bed rule, and then a foot-of-the-bed-only rule, and so it went. Insidious little beast. Still holding fast on the `leave-the-mouse-outside' rule, though.

Kenny, you have a fair point. Why do I live here and then whine about it getting cold? Answer: kids in school, work, house, friends, etc. It has its charms, but -30 isn't one of them (unless it was down to -50 for a week or three, then -30 looks pretty good.) Also, this winter is a little tougher than most because I am heating 24/7 exclusively with wood. It was a lot easier with a boiler and a warm garage. With the responsibility for keeping my fleet of ancient vehicles running (unheated garage is still warmer than the driveway) and keeping the house warm enough not to worry about the plumbing, and throw in a teenage son who is pretty sure that he's already forgotten a great deal more than I know, and holding down a job, I'm stretched kind of thin some days. Getting on here and blowing off a little steam about it seems to give me the resolve to go stick my feet in a pair of bunny boots and pull down a few more sled-loads of wood from the garage. Don't take me too seriously--it's just how I keep the ball rolling.

Randy, I don't know of anyone going through the kind of wood you're describing--17 or 18 cords!--I'd have to install a revolving door on my sunroom and on the stove!

Gassifier, thanks for giving me an opportunity to bore people with my details (again). :) I'm in the Fairbanks area (where we refer to BDave's neighborhood as the banana belt), and we're getting into a bit of a cold snap here. I am heating a 2000sf house, two stories, 40x26 (internal measurements) oriented on the long axis to the sun. Lots of glass to the south, a few windows on each side to the E & W, and one tiny window to the north in my door. The house is built into a hillside so I have an upstairs door at ground level and a downstairs door to the east at ground level. The house is double-wall construction, with R60 in the attic (two layers of batting). All the plumbing is indoors, and the water tank is buried and the connections indoors are earth-sheltered.

I also have a detached garage where my boiler lived before it died. At that point, I was heating the garage with the residual heat from the boiler plus the house via glycol through a utilidor on about 830 gallons of fuel oil a year.

Now that I am heating just with wood, I think I'll use about 5 cords of wood this winter: 1-1/2 cords of birch, 2 cords of beetle-killed spruce, and about a cord-and-a-half of assorted spruce, poplar, etc. Sorry not to have more accurate numbers, but my goal of having all my wood lined up and stacked and seasoned before the winter arrived just went perfloof this year. I'm just grateful to have wood.

We also have one oil-filled electric radiator that kids and I shuffle from one bedroom to another. And blankets--lots of blankets. Try to keep the house around 68-70. but there are cold corners here. My goal for next winter is to have the boiler replaced so that I can enjoy the fire without being completely dependent upon it. Balanced heating.

My daughter flew out with her swim teammates for a week before they return to their campus for spring semester. She called from Florida. It was around -40 when she flew out last night, and she called this afternoon (our time) to report that she was walking on a beach in shorts and a t-shirt ("and the moon is right overhead and Orion is sideways!"). I had to cut the conversation short to help my son get his battery warmed up and charged (I held the door for him--that was my contribution--hey, I told him to put it in the garage!) That kid was feeling the pain of mechanic work in the sub-zeroes. It hurts!

We have a few members here out in the North Pole area--haven't seen them posting lately--they have probably frozen to death. They are 30-40 miles away, and run 10-30 degrees colder in the winter than up here in the hills.

snowleopard,

I always enjoy reading your posts. I was wondering if it really made any difference between 0 and -100. I figure around here where we live, we rarely go under 0. It seems like once you are down there it makes no difference.... it's just too darn cold to expose yourself to it.

To the OP.... NO WAY... A BK that can't keep up? I thought those things even made fire hot.

-100? Ambient?

The answer to that question would be yes.

It is with extreme gratitude that I can tell you my answer is theoretical, not experiential. Don't we have anyone on the site who's wintered at McMurdo? I've spent winters on the North Slope, but they are a lot milder than Antarctica.

I can tell you that there is a difference between zero and -20, between -20 and -30, between -30 and -50. I can tell you that the schools are still open at -50, but recess is held indoors.

Zero to -20 is pretty workable. You can go outside and get things done at those temps. Below -40 I really don't want to be out there.

ETA: So I just went on the NOAA site and checked the weather, and this is what I found. Suck it up, buttercup! Gotta go to work.

Current Fairbanks Observation
4:53 AM AKST Tuesday January 3
-42°F Fog
Pressure:
29.85" steady (1010.8 mb)
RelHum: 100%
Skies: Mostly cloudy
Winds: Calm
Wind Chill: -42°F

Status
Not open for further replies.