17 hrs/bag.....good or not enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
been playin around with the new harman and seems the most i can get out of a bag is 17 hrs, thats with my feed rate on 3 and stove temp on 3. when it gets colder i'm obviously gonna have to turn it up, which will give me less then 17 hrs i'm sure.....the manual is very vague on this.....stove runs great, just curious if my settings are normal?...also can any harman owners share their settings and time they get on a bag?.....thanks

That's not bad. When the weather turns colder, I get about 14 hours out of a bag in my P68.

HEMI said:
been playin around with the new harman and seems the most i can get out of a bag is 17 hrs, thats with my feed rate on 3 and stove temp on 3. when it gets colder i'm obviously gonna have to turn it up, which will give me less then 17 hrs i'm sure.....the manual is very vague on this.....stove runs great, just curious if my settings are normal?...also can any harman owners share their settings and time they get on a bag?.....thanks
I think it`s normal.
My little P-38 can get 40 hrs out of a bag but not a whole lot of heat comes out at that rate.

You should learn to trust your stove set on room temperature, when it gets cold you'll notice a difference. When you're not home your stove is burning at a continous rate with your set up. Running on room temperature the rate will cycle down automatically, turning the rate down to 3 accomplishes nothing. Time to burn through a bag slowly doesn't indicate much, how quickly you can burn a bag is more important when it's cold, pellet quality being assumed as good.
I've had my stove for several years, it's my primary heat source, and I find the factory recommended settings work best, in my case a feed rate of 4, and I use the fan speed to adjust how large of an area to heat, and the thermostat to regulate how warm. Hope this helps.

Great Question.

Austroflamm Integra II gets about 30 hours per bag on the lowest seetting ~ 0% on a 0-100 scale (not alot of heat at that rate). Typical winter day is a bag every 14 hours (30%). I can run 75% of max on about 2 bags per day ~ thats a guess since prolonged burning at that rate gets the finished 1/2 of the basement into the upper 80's...

Ed

Souzafone said:
You should learn to trust your stove set on room temperature, when it gets cold you'll notice a difference. When you're not home your stove is burning at a continous rate with your set up. Running on room temperature the rate will cycle down automatically, turning the rate down to 3 accomplishes nothing. Time to burn through a bag slowly doesn't indicate much, how quickly you can burn a bag is more important when it's cold, pellet quality being assumed as good.
I've had my stove for several years, it's my primary heat source, and I find the factory recommended settings work best, in my case a feed rate of 4, and I use the fan speed to adjust how large of an area to heat, and the thermostat to regulate how warm. Hope this helps.
I did try room temp for a while, and i do like that feature, but in that mode it kept shutting down and restarting, leaving only that room its in warm (open floor plan) maybe i need to get a longer probe and set it further from the stove and use it that way.......thanks for the help on that

I have the same issue with room temp mode. Plus, I don't have a "set" place for my thermometer wire, so the stove can run completely different with minor wire location differences.

It's all about pounds per hour for heat per setting. Ask your Harman dealer what the feed rate is on setting 3. I timed a stove in my showroom that claimed 2lbs per hour on setting 3, didnt believe it and clocked it, 40lb bag went 19.5 hours, close enough for me. At 2.36 lbs per hour, your rate on 3, if your heating 1500 sf and its 30 degrees outside, your doing great. If your barely heating 1000 sf and its 50 degrees, not so great. Tell us your heating area and outside temps.

Lately I have been using 1 bag in 24 hours. I run my P43 in room temp, from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM set at 70 deg, 4:00 PM to 7:00 AM set on 75 deg. This keeps the other rooms at 68 to 70 deg, and obviously nice and toasty in the room with the stove. My feed rate is set on 4.

BJN644 said:
Lately I have been using 1 bag in 24 hours. I run my P43 in room temp, from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM set at 70 deg, 4:00 PM to 7:00 AM set on 75 deg. This keeps the other rooms at 68 to 70 deg, and obviously nice and toasty in the room with the stove. My feed rate is set on 4.

So, 1.67 lbs per hour on feed rate 4? How many feed rate settings are there? thats a 43K btu stove which means it should be running at about 5lbs per hour on the highest setting

Franks said:
It's all about pounds per hour for heat per setting. Ask your Harman dealer what the feed rate is on setting 3. I timed a stove in my showroom that claimed 2lbs per hour on setting 3, didnt believe it and clocked it, 40lb bag went 19.5 hours, close enough for me. At 2.36 lbs per hour, your rate on 3, if your heating 1500 sf and its 30 degrees outside, your doing great. If your barely heating 1000 sf and its 50 degrees, not so great. Tell us your heating area and outside temps.
i'm heating 2200 sq ft, outside temps at night have been in low 40's......1st level is at 72, 2nd 70

I think it`s somewhat incredible and amazing how much heat you get from 40 lbs of pellets.(one bag) for such an extended time with most pellet stoves.
Unfortunately the cost of a bag of good pellets is $5-$6 .
Makes me think of electric heat back in the 60`s-70`s. A 100% efficient heating system . Cheap to install too. Every room controlled with a separate thermostat. Unfortunately the cost of a kwhr skyrocketed.

HEMI said:
Franks said:
i'm heating 2200 sq ft, outside temps at night have been in low 40's......1st level is at 72, 2nd 70

To me, at 2.3 lbs per hour, thats good for a stove with a typical burn design. It doesnt seem like your burning too many pellets. Lets see what other Harman users say.

Status
Not open for further replies.