17-VL, too hot for break in...oops?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
First things first, take a peak at the picture. Englander says to put a magnetic thermometer to the left or right on the stove above the door. I took this as meaning location A, but my Rutland won't fit so I put it in location B. The email I got back from Englander recommended location C.

I did my first break in fire outside before I had the magnetic thermometer. First break in fire goal was 350F and that's what I did according to my IR gun, within 10 degrees or so. Second break in fire I did last night, inside all hooked up to my nice new chimney etc and with the Rutland on in location B on the right of the stove. I ran the stove for an hour and it only got up to 350F again, I hadn't put in enough wood (I'm new to burning). So I let the stove simmer till it was all coals and 300F, then I reloaded with two small sticks of birch (2-3" around) and 3 pieces of 2x4". After 30-45 minutes it was roaring hot and the Rutland read 550F on the right! The good news is that according to my IR gun it was only 480F which isn't too far off from the goal temp of 350-450F according to the manual. I put a fan near the stove and blew cold air on it. After an hour of that it came done to 450F on the Rutland. Now, the real possible pucker factor. With my IR gun the right side of the stove next to the thermometer read 480F at the high point, so pretty close but a little higher than the goal temp, however, the LEFT side in the same spot read 615F!!! What?? I checked multiple times.

So what I learned is, the stove may be hotter on one side than the other, by a fair margin. Also, the Rutland is off by ~75F compared to my IR. Oh yeah, also during all of this, area C of the stove on both sides was only 300F so I'm glad I didn't go by that!

Should I be worried? Overfire for this stove is listed as 650F. And they do mention all through the manual "as measured by a magnetic thermometer" in the location they told you to put it.

Also, should I go by the Rutland or the IR gun?

Attachments

• 17vl-labeled.jpg
    17vl-labeled.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 307
Brandon at England Stove Works got back to me and told be I'm fine and that he "wishes everyone read the manual" as I did. Also, even though overfire is 650F (and I'm sure that's where the warranty ends) he did say not to worry unless the stove or stove pipe starts glowing. Since metal doesn't even start to glow until 752F and most people won't notice till it's 850+F, I'm not too concerned. It seems like they've really engineered and built a good stove. So far I love it. I'll be sure to give a review of the stove in a few weeks and include pictures and maybe even a short video of the burn.

**edit**
Oh yeah, he also confirmed that position A or B on my picture would be ideal for the thermometer.

Steel starts glowing at about 900F IIRC. I would dispute that overfire is 650F. That is cruising temp for a lot of stoves. Ask him to put that in writing or better yet ask Mike Holton of Englander tech support.

BeGreen said:
Steel starts glowing at about 900F IIRC. I would dispute that overfire is 650F. That is cruising temp for a lot of stoves. Ask him to put that in writing or better yet ask Mike Holton of Englander tech support.

650F is in the manual as overfire, so it's already in writing. Keep in mind this stove has an air jacket around it, so it's hotter inside than what it seems. Also, that is 650F W/O the blower.

joecool85 said:
BeGreen said:

650F is in the manual as overfire, so it's already in writing. Keep in mind this stove has an air jacket around it, so it's hotter inside than what it seems. Also, that is 650F W/O the blower.

I was wrong (sort of). The side doesn't have any air convective space behind it - that's the wall of the stove. Only the top and back have the air space, so if it's reading 600F, that means 600F stove temp for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.