18" Front loading specs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck52

Dec 29, 2015
Ontario
Hello. My name is John. I am from Ontario, Canada and am sure most people here are aware of the WETT inspections we must have when installing a wood stove here.
Anyway, I took on the project of building this flagstone/stone hearth over the summer.
The cardboard on the floor is a pattern for the actual dimensions of the stove I want to get. The specs for clearances have all been met but I have a question someone here can likely answer.
The 18" clearance required in front of the stove, is that only required for the loading door directly or does it need to extend out further? As you can see from the pic, the front of the hearth is angled and the 18" clearance will only cover the area directly in front of the stove's width.
The other pic of the stove's specs shows a minimum 41" inches across the front so I am hoping that the hearth doesn't actually have to be square across the front like that. From corner to corner on the front of the hearth, I have 28"..but the 18" directly in front of the stove is there.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• rsz_20151229_195855 (1).jpg
    rsz_20151229_195855 (1).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 94
  • rsz_20151229_201717.jpg
    rsz_20151229_201717.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 117
Yah I'm sorry to say but if the inspector measures properly I don't think that's going to cut it.

Yah I'm sorry to say but if the inspector measures properly I don't think that's going to cut it.
It may not be a big issue if I have to make a change. It is only a difference of adding about 6" on either side and I can probably just measure out sheet metal to cover that small floor area below either side of the front of the hearth. That's if sheet metal would be acceptable.

If you've got an inspector you're going to work with than see if you can ask them some questions ahead of time for clarification to avoid having to have them come out twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.