18 inches on the firing side measured from the front of the stove door or the front of the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Jul 18, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Looking at the minimum hearth requirements of the Alderlea T4, I'm assuming it has to be measured from the front of the stove door. Zooming in on the PDF seems to confirm this, but I'd like another opinion. Of course, I'll check with my inspector as well.

The T4 has a large ledge on the front of the stove. I'd like to avoid adding an extra few inches to the hearth if I can.

I'm not positive, but I believe the measurement is taken from the front of the stove legs. This has become pretty much standard for several manufacturers. In the case of a side loading door, you'd measure from the legs as well.

Wouldn't it make sense to take it from the front of the opening where you load it? This would be a constant on all stoves. Shapes and styles of legs differ and if its simply off the door, what part of the door do you measure off? The handle? The glass?

First thought . . . I would guess the best location would be off the front of the stove where you load the wood.

Second thought . . . Unless it is absolutely critical that you have that extra inch or two or even three I would allow more space than you think you need . . . 1) it gives you a little more margin of safety for when that hot coal tumbles out and rolls along the hearth towards your wood flooring or carpeting, 2) it gives you a little more space in case you didn't quite line things up right when figuring out the placement of the stove and 3) it gives you a little more working space for your cat or dog to lay down.

I'm going to give it an extra 2-3 inches of play in the front and 1 off the corner (corner install) anyway, but I don't want to go much further than that. The front ledge of the T4 is about 4 inches in front of the door. I'll check with my inspector before I lay the hearth.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

From my experience in reading many manuals, measure from the front of the glass or steel of the door and add 2-3 inches for added safety. I dont believe its the legs as i think it is for the inevitable rolling ember.

That's correct Sue. It's measured from the front of the stove door. The stove window is usually used. In the case of side-loaders it is from the door face.

Measured from the glass sounds right when compared with the hearth dimensions on the brochure.

I just need to hear back from my inspector for his interpretation.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.