$180/Ton in Southern New England

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric_s

Jul 22, 2008
Rhode Island
Stopped by J and J Matierial in Rehoboth this past weekend looking for stone. Found out they have pellets on sale at $180/ton pick-up, but they also deliver for a fee. They are Inferno Pellets which apparently they are part owners.
There website has a sale flyer.

eric_s said:
Stopped by J and J Matierial in Rehoboth this past weekend looking for stone. Found out they have pellets on sale at $180/ton pick-up, but they also deliver for a fee. They are Inferno Pellets which apparently they are part owners.

Stay away.....junk pellets, that's why they are so cheap. Worst pellet I ever burned. Old saying is "you get what you pay for"

I've burned a few bags and my neighbor has as well. no issues for us.

imacman said:
eric_s said:

Stay away.....junk pellets, that's why they are so cheap. Worst pellet I ever burned. Old saying is "you get what you pay for"

imacman, He does have a multifueler that can handle the extra ash amount. And I hope the "Inferiors" have improved some. I also hope he has tested them in the cold, Or he's gonna freeze! There $180.00 for a reason! IMO still over priced! YUK!

eric_s said:

A few bags does NOT a heating season make. Hey, if you think their OK in your AE, then go for it and buy a big quantity. BUT, don't come on the forum next winter, especially if it's a really cold one, and complain that they don't heat your home.

Otherwise, good luck!

imacman said:
eric_s said:

A few bags does NOT a heating season make. Hey, if you think their OK in your AE, then go for it and buy a big quantity. BUT, don't come on the forum next winter, especially if it's a really cold one, and complain that they don't heat your home.

Otherwise, good luck!

Wow. Didn't know you were the one who decides what people can and can not post.

eric_s said:
imacman said:
eric_s said:

Otherwise, good luck!

actually, he doesnt.....but the thing is, in the end, you do whats best for you. I think what he is alluding to is the fact that when it gets cold, and things dont go people's way, they come here crying and moaning, "oh, woe is me", or some such, when they have been clearly warned before, or should have known better. EVERY SINGLE YEAR this happens. A guy sees a cheapo price, figures he or she is a genius for finding it, jumps on the bandwagon, buys a bunch, and takes it up the pipe. THEN, after the fact, they start a thread, hinting of their own innocence, and of the nefarious business practices of the pellet mill or retailer, and how bad they are. I find it amusing, very amusing.

Maybe they will work out fine, Eric. What you have here is a HUGE amount of experience and knowledge in this forum, telling you its likely otherwise. On the way back from buying the pellets, I would also buy a lottery ticket.

Lousyweather said:
eric_s said:
imacman said:
eric_s said:

Otherwise, good luck!

actually, he doesnt.....but the thing is, in the end, you do whats best for you. I think what he is alluding to is the fact that when it gets cold, and things dont go people's way, they come here crying and moaning, "oh, woe is me", or some such, when they have been clearly warned before, or should have known better. EVERY SINGLE YEAR this happens. A guy sees a cheapo price, figures he or she is a genius for finding it, jumps on the bandwagon, buys a bunch, and takes it up the pipe. THEN, after the fact, they start a thread, hinting of their own innocence, and of the nefarious business practices of the pellet mill or retailer, and how bad they are. I find it amusing, very amusing.

Maybe they will work out fine, Eric. What you have here is a HUGE amount of experience and knowledge in this forum, telling you its likely otherwise. On the way back from buying the pellets, I would also buy a lottery ticket.

LW, You sure have a way with words! I don't think there was any better way to put it!

All we are basically saying is that the buyer should beware. These pellet may work for some, But others may have major issue's with these pellets. They are "not" top notch in any way shape or form. If you haven't tried them, Please don't dive in on a large purchase. Proceed with CAUTION!

BTU said:
imacman said:
eric_s said:

Out of 43 different brands of pellets tested this past fall/winter...Inferno pellets from RI test dead last for heat and tied for 42nd place out of 43 for most ash content. IMHO these are a REALLY bad pellet...what is referred as "dirt in a bag" and I can't even begin to count how many dealers have had multiple problems this last season with them. You may think this is just sour grapes, since I too make and distribute pellets in NE, so you might just think this is me ragging on my competition and I guess to a certain degree you might be right. But come on, there are hundred's of complaints about this pellet and as my Dad used to say...Where there is smoke, there is usually fire....Do a search on this forum and you will see what I am referring to and what many others can atest too....These pellets give pellets a bad name and will make a mess out of your stove unless you literally clean it daily...and even that might not be enough. ... As Jay tested, the heat was just a tad over 1/2 what the best pellet preformed at....so if the average pellet currently sells for $250 per ton...then these are worth maybe $130....maybe

THEY ARE NO DEAL AT $180....IMHO
Who tested what pellets & where can the results be seen & why not simply post them instead of supposedly analyzing & concluding a value for the pellet?

Lousyweather said:
BLIMP said:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/31015605/Wood-Pellet-Testing-Results
I found this, enjoy.

um, ok, but I dont see any Inferno specs there......

how about this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/
A lot of factors can affect home pellet evaluation & I assume a test lab would take these into consideration moreso. The link I provided shows not much difference between the tested pellets. BTU referred to "testing" & without providing the link concluded that 1 pellet was worth 1/2 the price of the other! This I seriously doubt so I found my link just to prove that test results can be posted & understood by those who aren't pellet reps. The OP is from RI so I can see how conflicts of interest might have affected this post.

Hey I might be off topic here, but I have a question for all ya'll. I am trying to calculate my total BTU load for the heating season, I got a number of $2.71 per 100,000 usable BTU, I burn 300 bags per year at a price of $6.78 per bag. I figured that makes my BTU load for the year about 75,000,000. Does that sound right ?
And part 2 of my question, if I am paying $.11 per kilowatt hour for electricity how much will it cost me to use my 20 kwatt electric boiler for the same BTU load? The unit draws 85 amps of current.
Sorry for the sacriligious query.
By the way I agree with most on the cheap pellet issuse, they are usually cheap for a reason...

BLIMP said:
Lousyweather said:
BLIMP said:
I found this, enjoy.

how about this:
A lot of factors can affect home pellet evaluation & I assume a test lab would take these into consideration moreso. The link I provided shows not much difference between the tested pellets.

Lab testing yeah right. If that's what you would rather believe. Just remember the mills submit there samples to the labs and can send there best for testing! Turn around and sell the worst to the public. Anybody can put what they want on the bags. There is no spot checks or watch dogs keeping an eye on them. I will take the home evaluation any day of the week! Even with the so called variables. Real people in a real world, Burning in real stoves is what matters to me. If the majority say they are not all that. I will proceed with caution. Most likely they are right!

Hey they come in a nice pretty looking bag though! For what that's worth??? ;-P

jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
Lousyweather said:
BLIMP said:
I found this, enjoy.

how about this:
A lot of factors can affect home pellet evaluation & I assume a test lab would take these into consideration moreso. The link I provided shows not much difference between the tested pellets.

Lab testing yeah right. If that's what you would rather believe. Just remember the mills submit there samples to the labs and can send there best for testing! Turn around and sell the worst to the public. Anybody can put what they want on the bags. There is no spot checks or watch dogs keeping an eye on them. I will take the home evaluation any day of the week! Even with the so called variables. Real people in a real world, Burning in real stoves is what matters to me. If the majority say they are not all that. I will proceed with caution. Most likely they are right!

Read the site, it states it was a Blind Test which means the brands were obscured & not the method of the tester.

jtakeman,
Nice work on the pellet testing, that's a lot of work and follow through. Sometimes I wish I had the selection for pellets that you guys in New England/Eastern US have. I think we have three mills in Nova Scotia, and two of them only export to Europe. Luckily the third mill who produce Eastern Embers do a good job , I have never had any problems with their product in my 105 or in my Jamestown. What makes you a pellet pig ? I usually buy four pallets at a time if I can, do I qualify ?
I totally agree on the length issue, long pellets used to "stall" my Jamestown in the minimum burn position. I am burning my last two bags of this years supply as I write this.

BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
Lousyweather said:
BLIMP said:
I found this, enjoy.

how about this:

Read the site, it states it was a Blind Test which means the brands were obscured & not the method of the tester.
I was speaking more to the PFI testing that allows them to certify there pellets to use the PFI label. Your blind test link doesn't even show any results for the inferno's. Who's the PITA now?

The thread was started by someone trying to be nice and give people a heads up on some cheap pellets and instead he gets BEAT DOWN. Not every one is trying to heat their whole house with a space heater like the 1800"s and can burn what ever is cheapest and satisfies their individual needs. Personally, $180 is still too high, I've seen $160 and we're still in the heating season up here (6" of snow yesterday).

whippingwater said:
The thread was started by someone trying to be nice and give people a heads up on some cheap pellets and instead he gets BEAT DOWN. Not every one is trying to heat their whole house with a space heater like the 1800"s and can burn what ever is cheapest and satisfies their individual needs. Personally, $180 is still too high, I've seen $160 and we're still in the heating season up here (6" of snow yesterday).

Not trying to beat anyone down. Just a warning to the ones that may flock to the deal.

Where have you seen $160 pellets in New England? Also what brands??

Chilly and damp here in CT. My stove was on when I got home. I really was hopping to give it the full clean and shut it down But NOT just yet!

whippingwater how are things in Michigan?

Could you send some of those $160/ton pellets this way?

SmokeyTheBear said:

Had a blizzard yesterday when I took LOML to the doctor, but the pasties were hot, eh.( That's pasty as in the filled pastry, not what a stripper wears.) $160 was from a retailer 130 miles from the plant which is 50 miles from me. I'll wait for late May or June and go pick up a truckload to split with the boss.

whippingwater said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Had a blizzard yesterday when I took LOML to the doctor, but the pasties were hot, eh.( That's pasty as in the filled pastry, not what a stripper wears.) $160 was from a retailer 130 miles from the plant which is 50 miles from me. I'll wait for late May or June and go pick up a truckload to split with the boss.

I have over 400 tulips that are up (several other things are in bloom (lung wort, heather, violas, pansy, and some vegetable seeds (lettuce, beets, spinach, broccoli) have even sprouted), so I don't want any of that white stuff heading this way.

How's that Tarm working out ? Does it tolerate standard or utility grade pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.