187 MW of Solar for MN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
The MN PUC directed Xcel Energy to go ahead with three large solar installations, which will be on-line before the end of 2016. This is the follow-up to a prior decision requiring Xcel to add PV. A separate 100 MW PV installation also is going ahead by Geronimo Energy. With these three projects, "the result will be a 16-fold increase in the state’s solar capacity, which currently is 17.8 megawatts." 187 MW of PC

Outstanding. Is this mostly seasonal power? I wonder who is going to keep up with the snow removal in winter?

It will be interesting to see how this all works out, details await. I can see where this might play a big role is power for summer AC. Utility scale PV is minimal in MN, and this will be a big advance forward. I think it also is becoming more clear that utility scale PV is cost effective vs fossil fuel electricity, and then the plus of 0 carbon emissions.

I wonder who is going to keep up with the snow removal in winter?
Might not have to be concerned about this as atmospheric CO2 buildup and warming climate may mean the end of snow in MN.

I doubt I will ever see that day.

me too.

That said, it might simply not pay to clear the snow in winter, depending on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.