19" rounds/16" stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Red

Jan 21, 2016
Onondaga NY
Picked up some free pine that was cut in rounds 17 to 21 inches in length and I have a stove that takes 16 inch wood. Do I cut them in half and have shorts that would be a pain to stack or shave them to 16" and do I don't know what with the slice. I'm leaning towards the later; wondering what y'all think.

I get that a lot from the city tree service that does not allow me to cut their trunks to my preferred length, they cut them to random lengths themselves. It it is close to double my preferred length, I just cut them in half. If a little over as in your case, I tend to cut one end off to make them my length. If the slice is a large diameter, I just split it in two, and the half round slice does stack mostly well. Otherwise, I have a tub for the small slices to use for starting.

For stuff like that I go one of two ways. (1) If the diameter of the tree is the same size or less than your stove, I cut the log to stove length. Then I take the 3"-6" cut-off and split it once down the middle, producing two half moon pieces that fit the stove. I use them on top or sometimes fill in a side when loading. (2) If the diameter is bigger than my stove length I will typically cut them in half, but still stack them together. That may cause some of them to stick out some, but that doesn't bother me since there is space in between my stacks anyway.

Reactions: Old Red
I always cut the short slice off to make a full size round plus a cookie. I like to use the splitter in horizontal mode to hold the round while I cut it. The cookies go into my huge pile of splitter trash and waste that gets used for outdoor fires, shoulder season fires, giving to friends that ask for free wood, etc.

I would cut to stove length . . . actually an inch or two less than the max length . . . season the shorts and cookies on top of the stack and burn them up during the shoulder season when you may just need a quick fire to warm up the stove.

Thanks all. Will be cutting to about 15" in the morning. Got to get this done and get back to the fall striper run.

Just remember 2) 6" shorties equals a 12" piece when stacked end to end. I'd cut the shorties off and burn them.

This year I put the odds and ends in a couple of plastic garbage cans. I drilled some holes on the sides at the bottom for drainage, piled them in there so there'd be some space when the lid goes on (but the lid still shields the rain), and bungied the lids on. The can be moved around and into the garage with a dolly when their time comes.

I'm going to throw out another possibility.

I heat with a Woodstock Fireview. The Woodstock website lists wood length at 16". When you crack open the manual, however, it lists a "recommended wood length" at 16" and "max length at 20". That's because the firebox is 20" deep.

upload_2016-9-16_9-6-5.png

When I am bucking logs, I always cut to 16" because the splits are much easier to load. However, when I get free rounds, I won't re-cut anything up to 18", sometimes up to 19" depending on my mood.

Check to see if 16" is your stoves max length. It's very possible you don't need to cut many of these rounds down at all, although you may still choose to.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-16_9-0-34.png
    upload_2016-9-16_9-0-34.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
Does that Fireview load from the side? What's that handle on the top for?
Sorry for getting off track.

Check to see if 16" is your stoves max length. It's very possible you don't need to cut many of these rounds down at all, although you may still choose to.

I did check and the firebox is 18". The top load opening is 15" and the front load opening is 14 1/2" - narrowing at the top. Good to know in the future; cut down all the rounds I have this morning.

Loads through the door on the right side. The handle on the top is for raising/removing the top soapstone panel to get at the catalytic converter.

I wasn't sure about side loading at first, but I've fallen in love with it. That may be one reason fitting over-length splits isn't such a problem for me, I don't have to get them through a narrow door.

20160916_093314.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
True, the fireview has a slick setup with superior cat access for cleaning and cheap replacing. Side loading the fireview is like front loading a north/south stove, it just makes more sense than chucking in splits sideways.

I had pine rounds that were to big for my stove last year, I still split them long then cut the splits with my band saw as needed

I've been resizing 20+ cords of too-long wood to fit a new stove. I found it best to cut to required length, and deal with shorts, rather than cut in half. The shorts go in a big bin or trash can, and are used in starts, short burns, or packing in on top of the big stuff in a load.
I built a rack that helps me resize about 1/8th of a cord in a single cut with my big saw. Makes fairly quick work of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up with some small rounds maybe 5 or 6 inches I forget how I got them. But I chopped them last night and stacked them 3 deep on the bottom of my leanto and it worked out well. I am still building a good stock so I wont discard anything at this stage of the game.

So i guess my answer is cut em to length and use the little parts for firebox filler on the cold nights or mini fires in the shoulder season.

I've stacked half length splits in the place of a full length and that stacks fairly well mixed in with mostly full length pieces.
Anything less than half lengths I've put in a barrel too.
I'll burn shorties and cutoffs in the stove on a lazy Sunday or Saturday afternoon or sometimes after supper if I have a few extra seconds to fart around with them. Or the fire pit, or just toss 'em in the woods to rot.

i should probably find the ideal length for my stove :)

I cut to 17" apx for the NC30 fits either direction for loading with a little lee way- odds & ends shorts go in the giant milk crates. Get burned in the shoulder seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.