Q&A 1920 home w/ fireplace that burns both gas AND wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We moved into a 1920 home which has a fireplace that, we were told, burns both gas AND wood. There is a chimney and a glass door structure. We have successfully burned a few gas fires but I'd like to occasionally burn wood or Duraflame-type logs. There seems to be a sheet or blanket made of some sort of non-burning wick-like material over the gas burners and, then, there are the burners themselves, so I was hesitant to just throw some wood logs in there and fire 'em up, not knowing what damage, if any, could be done to the gas-burning system. Is there such a thing as a hybrid (wood/gas) fireplace? Do I need to put some sort of cover over the gas burners to make sure that gas will work again after x number of wood fires? Any other operational and/or maintenance caveats?
Thanks for your time and effort reading this. Keep up the great work on the site!

Answer:

There really is no such thing as a gas/wood fireplace burner in the current market. This does not mean that it didn't exist in the 1920's. However, it's my guess that your unit was a gas-only burner which the former owners burned some wood logs on.

There are gas "fire starters" which are cast-iron tubes that are hooked to a gas line and ignite the wood..then they are turned off. Tell you the truth, these scare me a bit.

You also may want to check if your burner has any updated safety features, like a pilot valve. If it doesn't, you should consider updating the set.

By the way, the wick like material could be asbestos, so don't kick up a lot of dust in the fireplace. It's safe as long as the material doesn't get into the air you are breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.