1934 Kalamazoo Liberty Cook Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kalamazoo

Oct 4, 2022
Colorado
Hello,

We recently purchased a 1934 Kalamazoo Liberty cook stove that has been in the same family for ~88 years. The stove appears to be in very good condition and was used frequently until being stored 40+ years ago. Several pictures of the stove, the firebox, and three pages from the 1934 Kalamazoo catalog are attached. My hope is to restore the stove as may be needed and to eventually install the stove for use on weekends for cooking and heating in a small cabin located in the Colorado mountains at ~7,000 foot elevation.

I have several questions regarding two sets of topics: 1) Replacement / repair of the firebox plates and 2) Possible addition of an external catalytic convertor.

1) The firebox plates are in "fair" condition and would likely benefit from repair or replacement. Are any of you aware of a replacement source (perhaps via a foundry that may already have the patterns) for the firebox plates that are described in the "Repair Parts Quick" catalog page as B95 and C95 ("Fire Back Center" and "Fire Back Right")? I have searched eBay, Craiglist etc. without success. The other option would be to repair the plates with Super HyBond Plus. Does anyone have experience with performing such a repair?

2) I assume that my local jurisdiction will require that the stove be EPA compliant if/when the stove is installed when the building is inspected. Is is possible and practical (!) for me to install an catalytic convertor for the purpose of meeting EPA regulations? I assume such a convertor would likely best be installed external to the stove in the flue. Any suggestions for recommended models and/or sources of such a convertor would be appreciated.

I assume that some additional work will need to be done to replace various seals prior to use as well.

Thank you very much for any comments that you may be able to offer.

Paul

IMG_8485.jpg IMG_8486.jpg IMG_8488.jpg IMG_8491.jpg Unknown-1.jpeg IMG_8533.jpg IMG_8532.jpg IMG_8534.jpg

Two additional pictures are attached. One of the complete firebox (a plate was missing in the previous picture) and of one of the two fireplaces that I would like to replace / repair. Thanks again for any input that you may be able to offer.

IMG_8492.jpg IMG_8507.jpg

EPA compliance is not possible with this stove. It would need lab testing costing major money. Also, the stove is not UL tested. It would be installed as an unlisted stove. If ok with the local inspecting authority, the main block may be the insurance company. Consult with each.
If permitted to install, it will need 36" clearances, all around. This can be reduced to 12" by putting an NFPA 211 wall shield behind the stove and alongside if there are side combustibles.

Thank you begreen. The structure is relatively low value and is located in a high wildfire fire risk area, so insurance coverage is presently TBD.

Cook stoves are exempt from epa regulations, and can be installed pretty much anywhere in the US. You do not need to modify the stove at all.

You still need to install the stove to code to be safe, but do not worry about epa guidelines.

Cook stoves are exempt from epa regulations, and can be installed pretty much anywhere in the US. You do not need to modify the stove at all.

You still need to install the stove to code to be safe, but do not worry about epa guidelines.
Thank you D. Hermit. Your help is much appreciated.

I looked up the EPA regulations to learn more and found the following (in case it is of use to others):

“Cook stove means a wood-fired appliance that is designed, marketed and warranted primarily for cooking food and that has the following characteristics:
  • (1) An oven, with volume of 0.028 cubic meters (1 cubic foot) or greater, and an
    oven rack
  • (2) A device for measuring oven temperatures
  • (3) A flame path that is routed around the oven
  • (4) An ash pan
  • (5) An ash clean-out door below the oven
  • (6) The absence of a fan or heat channels to dissipate heat from the appliance
  • (7) A cooking surface with an area measured in square inches or square feet that is at least 1.5 times greater than the volume of firebox measured in cubic inches or cubic
    feet. Example: A cook stove with a firebox of 2 cubic feet must have a cooking surface of at least 3 square feet
  • (8) A portion of at least four sides of the oven (which may include the bottom
    and/or top) is exposed to the flame path during the heating cycle of the oven. A flue gas bypass may exist for temperature control.”
~Subpart AAA — Standards of Performance for New Residential Wood Heaters, § 60.531.

Thank you D. Hermit. Your help is much appreciated.

I looked up the EPA regulations to learn more and found the following (in case it is of use to others):

“Cook stove means a wood-fired appliance that is designed, marketed and warranted primarily for cooking food and that has the following characteristics:
  • (1) An oven, with volume of 0.028 cubic meters (1 cubic foot) or greater, and an
    oven rack
  • (2) A device for measuring oven temperatures
  • (3) A flame path that is routed around the oven
  • (4) An ash pan
  • (5) An ash clean-out door below the oven
  • (6) The absence of a fan or heat channels to dissipate heat from the appliance
  • (7) A cooking surface with an area measured in square inches or square feet that is at least 1.5 times greater than the volume of firebox measured in cubic inches or cubic
    feet. Example: A cook stove with a firebox of 2 cubic feet must have a cooking surface of at least 3 square feet
  • (8) A portion of at least four sides of the oven (which may include the bottom
    and/or top) is exposed to the flame path during the heating cycle of the oven. A flue gas bypass may exist for temperature control.”
~Subpart AAA — Standards of Performance for New Residential Wood Heaters, § 60.531.
Heating with this stove. Especially if you are planning on using wood is probably going to be very frustrating. It's a tiny firebox that's really meant to burn coal. It will need very frequent loading

Heating with this stove. Especially if you are planning on using wood is probably going to be very frustrating. It's a tiny firebox that's really meant to burn coal. It will need very frequent loading
Thank you bholler, you raise a good point. I need to learn more about how to use coal for this stove.

Reactions: bholler