194 top to bottom.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Only this group can appreciate that statement.

Tanks are foamed in 4 to 6 inches. I got a vast majority of the piping all insulated with 1" fiberglass wrap. I've given the wife her written directions.. I go away tomorrow. I think she should only need to have a couple fires while I'm gone for a week. I've left some eco blocks, some split up old twisted 2x4s and she's ready as she can be.

I'm sure she'll get the hang of it. I've got the temp module set up, and can access it from any computer in the house. I log in to my PC at home.. so I can keep an eye on it. The only thing I don't have yet is the automated emails when temp hits low limit in the storage.

JP

Boy she has it easy.When i go away it is tend to the wood boiler,feed the dogs(3) feed the horses (5 ) donkeys (3) goats (3) not to mention the fowl rabbit and the barn cat.and then go to work.

Boy she has it easy.When i go away it is tend to the wood boiler,feed the dogs(3) feed the horses (5 ) donkeys (3) goats (3) not to mention the fowl rabbit and the barn cat.and then go to work.
Lol.. 2 dogs only. But I'm gone about 16 days a month!

She's decided that the price she's extracting from me making her feed the boiler is that she wants to foster another dog. I'll put up a fight to make her think she won. :)

JP

I log in to my PC at home.. so I can keep an eye on it.

What program are you using to get to your home computer? I would like to be able to watch my boiler from a smart phone or remote computer.

What program are you using to get to your home computer? I would like to be able to watch my boiler from a smart phone or remote computer.
I won't say you can do it remote.. as in not the same network.. I think those that are tech savvy could use it, or the X300 to do more functions than my simple setup.

www.controlbyweb.com I got the "temperature module"

On any PC in the home.. I can connect to a web page that shows temps.. I have it set to update every 30 seconds.

I use www.logmein.com to access computer at home to check it when i'm away.

JP

JP11, thanks for the info. I already have the boiler controls on my home computer using a wireless network. Now I need a safe way to log in to my computer.

JP11, thanks for the info. I already have the boiler controls on my home computer using a wireless network. Now I need a safe way to log in to my computer.
I've been using the free version of log me in for a long time. Not sure if they still offer that. You can't print, or use cut and paste.. but you can log in and control any machine that you've already set it up on. It comes in handy for fixing my mothers PC... when she gets a bit confused. No need to go over there for a couple mouse clicks.

JP

It comes in handy for fixing my mothers PC... when she gets a bit confused. No need to go over there for a couple mouse clicks.
JP

Ha Ha, we have given up on getting my mother-in-law to use the PC. I still have to go by her place every couple of months to help her with her remote controls. Do you know you need the Comcast box turned ON before you can watch the TV?

GoToMyPC is a paid service that will let you access your computer, even from an iPhone. I'll check again on logmein.com, sound like something I could use on some PCs I help take care of as a "donation".

I also use Carbonite for backup. If you write your data to a file, Carbonite will back it up to their "cloud" and you can access the backup up file from anywhere. [You have to have the "cloud" thing now to be relevant ;-) ]

Mark

I'll bet you nottice a big difference in efficiency with everything all insulated. I think winter is over here but I'm still heating DHW by wood. Been burning 1/2 to 3/4 of a load every 3 to 4 days. I've been heating storage to around 180 and letting it get down to 135 - 145 depending on demand.

That's my plan as well. The first 4 days in May we didn't get above 50 though. So I was heating the house plenty too. My biggest issue now is just bad wood. I started splitting in January. I have about 10 cords.. but I'd say half is hemlock. I need to get further ahead.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.