1968 Fisher Grandpa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabellusa

Dec 17, 2013
Maryland
I have a Fisher Grandpa bought around 1968 and have it piped into my fireplace. Always have problems getting it started in cold weather. Smoke comes back down the chimney and into the room. Once it's started it is the greatest.

What type of chimney do you have? Masonry, clay tile, etc? Do you have a liner? How long is the chimney?

Welcome to the forum;
The Grandpa is a double door stove from the Fireplace Series that was started in 1976.
The first steel plate "air tight" stove wasn't invented until 1973.
The first year double door would have had stars and a '76 on the right door.
Maybe you mean 1978? Pictures could verify that.

Most fireplaces have large flues and yours should have a metal liner all the way up keeping it the same size as flue outlet on stove. If you have a block off plate across the hearth opening, and the stove pipe only goes up the flue a little, make sure the pipe going up the chimney flue is sealed well and not leaking any indoor air up the chimney. Any leakage will go up the chimney and cool the hot rising gasses in the flue reducing draft and allow smoke to leak in.

Are you starting with paper, cardboard, and very small kindling to get the chimney warmed up first? An outdoor large masonry chimney is going to take a lot to get it warm enough inside to prevent leakage into the house.

What type of chimney do you have? Masonry, clay tile, etc? Do you have a liner? How long is the chimney?
The chimney is the fireplace that was built with the house in 1969. It has a rectangular clay tile liner that I clean every year. The chimney is about 24 ft from the firebox. I was thinking about putting in a stainless liner but don't know if that would help and they are really expensive.The grampa has a rear 8" pipe opening.

Yes, an 8 inch liner insulated between liner and existing flue would stay hot inside instead of trying to heat all the mass of the large masonry flue and chimney. Not only stopping the problem, but using less fuel since you won't need to leave near as much heat up the stack.
Your flue should be 8 inches round or about 50 square inches across. (L X W of flue opening)

Yes you are right, I bought the stove new and it was sometime in the 70's. Ifound my sales receipt, bought in 8-8-78. The chimney flu is a tile 8 X 12.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.