1970's Darth Vadar mask sheet metal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Jace, I was distracted when I was doing the post on pipe height. Now we know what your dealing with by the pictures that Begreen posted. I do know as he said that those units do require a massive amount of air. We had lots of those around my area when I was a kid and I can tell you the thing I remember most was the smell of smoke in the house. The ones I remember most, that did work, were installed in an "A" frame house or some other high ceiling, big room... So in other words the draft issues your battling do not surprise me. Furthermore I am not sure one of those units would work with any elbows of any shape. The installs I remember from childhood were straight up and tall 6" pipe. Perhaps somebody else could help us out here? I can tell you for sure that there is no way that a pipe of 10-12 total feet with elbows of 45 degrees would be enough to draft properly. The other thing with that unit that will be a requirement is the use of a fire grate to slightly elevate the burning wood off the floor of the unit. This will provide air flow around the fire that will "speed up" the burn a bit. I say the best thing you could do at this point is add say about 3ft. of pipe to your height. I also say you will battle the draft with that fireplace till the cows come home... Sorry my friend but they never were a really great heater.

really does look like Darth Vader's mask.......

Jaceymae said:
BeGreen said:
The description helps. Does it look something like this? If so, it's more a fireplace than stove. Is the top connection 6" pipe or is it a larger size that has been reduced down?

THAT's IT! Do you know a name for it? Or manufacturer info? Mine had been reduced down to 6", and not quite as shiny. BUT THAT's IT!! Good Work!

I’d Mcgyver a go-kart, not a stove. If you like that style stove (guessing since no photo) you may want to replace it with a Malm fireplace down the road.

I called Malm first, what do I win?

I called Malm first, what do I win?

Hey, I guessed he didn't have a chimney. He just used the trick words stove and insert to throw us off.

A heater it is not. Well, it will throw some heat outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.