1970's Heatform/Heatilator Box help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubstix

Apr 15, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hi guys, been lurking these forums the last couple of days on help with my Heatform/Heatilator system. Looks like alot of knowledgeable guys in here so I figured I would ask my questions. I want to start remodeling my basement and want to take care of an issue now before it stings in the long run. I plan on tearing out the paneling and drywalling as well as using Natural Stone Veneer's to cover the old looking brick and finish with tile floors. I noticed my house has one of these metal box fireplaces. It appears to be in better condition than most but what I gather from experience of others, is that these are not recommended to be used anymore even if the condition isn't falling apart.

What do I do? My house is a bi-level and where I placed the red line is where the ground starts. So it's slightly below ground in the basement on this side of the house. I have a few questions I hope people can help me out with and alittle background I can provide. Currently I'm using electric heat (I know) and I have a free standing wood stove in a different room which I will start using next winter after inspection. I have central cool only air (only on the top floor of bi-level) in which I would move to a heat pump if/when the unit goes kapooey (11-12 years old). The free standing stove is located on the back of the bi-level (in a fairly large sunroom addition) with about 5 feet of steps going from this room to the room with the free standing stove (so the basement is connected to this room). I haven't burned yet but I'm assuming the freestanding fireplace will probably warm this room but I want flexibility with future homeowners or myself. I want to provide a future homeowner or myself the flexibility of doing something with the fireplace (or not) without destroying the basement all over again.

1. Do I have a mason blow the brick out and remove this hunk of metal?
2. Can it be cut out with a torch without dismantling all the brick?
3. What about the 4 vents? Since the fireplace probably cannot be used as is, should I mason these shut regardless?
4. Do I leave the fireplace as is because a gas insert/wood insert can be installed with the heatform still inside?
5. If a gas insert/wood insert can be installed with the heatform still in tact, can I still close these vents off when stoning?

Just looking for advice. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20150414_173452.jpg
    20150414_173452.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 1,007
If the metal heatform is in good condition I would leave it as-is. Maybe get it inspected by a certified chimney sweep but if the chimney is clear/clean, and the heatform is not all rusted apart, I see no reason you can't just use it as an open fireplace. If you want to do a gas or wood insert later you might need to cut out a bit of the throat to fit it in there, but worry about that later.

If the metal heatform is in good condition I would leave it as-is. Maybe get it inspected by a certified chimney sweep but if the chimney is clear/clean, and the heatform is not all rusted apart, I see no reason you can't just use it as an open fireplace. If you want to do a gas or wood insert later you might need to cut out a bit of the throat to fit it in there, but worry about that later.

I will take some pictures when I get home and post. The only thing I noticed off hand was it being extremely dirty, spiderwebs, and it did have the color of rust all over but I did not see any holes, cracks, or it falling apart like others. Thank you for your response.

I will take some pictures when I get home and post. The only thing I noticed off hand was it being extremely dirty, spiderwebs, and it did have the color of rust all over but I did not see any holes, cracks, or it falling apart like others. Thank you for your response.
it the inside of the box is rusty the smoke shelf is probably rusted out but like said before have it inspected by a sweep to find out what you have to work with. but yes they can be cut out and a masonry box built in its place. you can install an insert in it as long as it is not falling apart. And if you are going to do that you can close off the vents

Here are some more pictures from the inside. I know nothing about fireplaces but it appears the damper is closed which is good, but it also appears the damper is on an angle probably making it difficult to have an insert in without cutting. Let me know if you need any other pictures and I will upload. Thank You.

Attachments

• 20150415_170638.jpg
    20150415_170638.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 1,245
  • 20150415_170643.jpg
    20150415_170643.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 20150415_170741.jpg
    20150415_170741.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 20150415_170837.jpg
    20150415_170837.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 939
Have a sweep out to look at it and tell you what condition it is in i would bet that the smoke shelf is rusted but i could be wrong. But that doesn't matter if you are going to put an insert in there it will need to be cut up to get the liner through anyway

The good news about those is they generally went in as the house was built - so you will have a straight shot through the framing someday if you choose to put in a freestanding stove later.

I would be inclined to leave it alone this year, see how much you can save off your electric heat bill by burning some wood this coming winter in your existing freestander - and look at it again this time next year.

How big a stove in the addition? How many total sqft are you heating?

The good news about those is they generally went in as the house was built - so you will have a straight shot through the framing someday if you choose to put in a freestanding stove later.
What do you mean straight shot through the framing it is a masonry structure with a metal heat form no framing involved. Especially because it is in a basement below grade i am sure it is a masonry wall.

Thank you for the reply guys. I can confirm my chimney is an entire masonry structure. No framing. I opened the damper to take a look last night and surprisingly it looks pretty good I think. I need to get a sweep/inspection of my free standing stove so I will have him look at this one as well. I quickly glanced at the book of the free standing and I think it's made for 1700 sq ft, in which my house is 3000 sq ft. I do use baseboard electric currently so even if it can't heat the whole house I plan on it taking a decent burden off my monthly electric bill.

Attachments

• 20150416_165212.jpg
    20150416_165212.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 881
Status
Not open for further replies.