1970s heatlator operating controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbprior1

Dec 25, 2006
Greetings,

I moved into a home recently that has a Heatilator (I think) fireplace. I have never given it a thought thinking that open fireplaces are not efficient. However, I have been poking around and found the controls on the side and have no idea how they work. After reading on Heatilators website I understand the concept of bringing combustion air in from outside. It has the vents outside, the glass doors, fan vents, and the controls on each side. There is a chain that pulls down from the top on each side and there is a lever that moves side to side and locks in position on the bottom. I can't find anything on the web that explains what these controls do? Would be glad for your thoughts.

Trying to stay warm in Northern Ca.

Status
Not open for further replies.