1970s Vermont castings vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chrisco

Sep 17, 2020
Northeast PA
I have a 1970s Vermont castings vigilant. It’s been one of the true loves of my life. Even before I knew how to run it properly LOL. Anyway as pictured there is an open seam and a crack inside the firebox. Not on the outside containe it’s been one of the true loves of my life. Even before I knew how to run it properly LOL. Anyway as pictured there is an open seam and a crack inside the firebox. Not on the outside containment vessel. Anyone have any ideas whether I should just let it be? When I light it up it seems right on the outside. Thank you in advance.
0F08F93A-D61B-46AA-823C-A9210535CAEE.jpeg
2E1527ED-0197-4372-8FD0-42AFFD4CE216.jpeg
70E43287-DF2F-44F7-A059-813A07289960.jpeg

Its not dangerous to run, its just far less efficient as the gases are shortcutting the extended heating surface.

Not really, you may still be able to buy the parts and rebuild it. It probably needs resealing. Given the age, it gets to the point where the parts start to add up to the price of finding a good used one. They were great very efficient stoves when they first were sold but the new EPA stoves are more efficient (although I expect it would be hard to beat the longevity.