1977 Vigilant damper issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G-dine

Jan 3, 2016
Ohio
Hi! I am new to this forum... I have been operating my 1977 Vigilant model 1400 coal/multifuel stove for about 20 years... I have always burned wood.No real issues until now. My damper on the side of the stove seems to fall back to the open position.. it then in turn causes my burn temp to rise to high.. not sure if the damper retainer is wore out or what.... I have to replace the front door handle assembly as it wearing out so I'm thinking the damper retainer might be wore out too. This stove has been very good to me ... anyone have any ideas??

Welcome. Here's an older thread on this topic that may be helpful.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vc-vigilant-damper-flops-open.79036/

Someone else posted they used a hook and a 2.5 lb weight to hold the damper down..It seems like a much simpler way to do it. Maybe someone has a pic or idea of how I can actually do this... if so please post for me... I need to do something that's easy to un-do when I have to open the damper.... I am currently using a bulky brick attached with a coat hanger lol! thanks G-dine

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a lot of play in the bypass handle shaft? Is there any warping of the damper or damper bracket? If so maybe that could be part of the problem?

The handle moves as it should and everything looks ok ..there doesn't seem to be any play.. I keep the handle tight.... I think I might just replace the damper and the damper retainer...it's not and issue when I'm home because I can hear it open but when I'm not here my stove will get way too hot.... I am using a brick with a bent coat hanger to put downward pressure on it but even that doesn't always work... when the front door gets closed to hard it causes the handle to change position... When I get a warm day I will have to give it another look... This has been a very good stove for many years and I am hoping to get it functioning back as it should. I appreciate this forum.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.