1980 Jotul F3 info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiff

Nov 13, 2013
west coast
Folks I saw an ad for a Jotul stove in "mint" condition the other day. Said they bought it in 1980. It is Ivory in color. When I called the "seller" and asked about it and if it was an "epa" stove, they didn't seem to know the answer. He says it is an excellent shape, used it to heat their 2000' sf house and it was a great stove. Said the quality was excellent of this brand. My question is...would it be considered an epa stove? I asked if the stove had ever been worked on...gaskets, seals or whatever you do to older cast stoves and he said no.

Any thoughts on buying a 33 year old stove. How much would the F3 have changed over the years?

The F3 is not an EPA model, but it was a decent small stove. The F3 had some early attempts at fitting a cat which I've read were not so great. So having one prior to the cat would be better. The modern F3CB is much better and cleaner burning as a small heater, but the old one did the job.

As far as heating a 2000 sq ft house, maybe in lowland California, but not for most places. This is a small stove. It will only burn for about 3-4 hrs on hardwood.

Last edited:
My mistake, he just told me it was an 1986 MFG'd. He just sent some pictures over. It has the stove pipe shooting out the back, not on top of the stove. It appears to have the fresh air vent on the front in a circular design opening and closing air supply. He had a shot of the inside with what looks like metal grate (s) ? Doesn't appear to have an ash pan on the bottom of the stove.

It sounds like a basic model 3.

It's peak season now so maybe $3-400 if no cracks, the porcelain still looks nice and the interior burn plates are in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.