1980's Jotul 3...top baffle??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gparzych

Jan 8, 2012
CT
Hi,
I've been looking at some older Jotul 3's lately and I have my eye on one. I went to take a look and the top of the stove was detached and there is not a top baffle plate underneath...do these stoves have top baffles? Can anyone point me to an exploded view of a 1980's Jotul 3?

There were variations on this model. I don't think the original 3 had a baffle, but the 3TD and 3TDIC had a top baffle.

This is definitely a straight up "3" model. I'm looking at buying it (used obviously) for hearth mount in my fireplace. I want to gain some heat when we're having a fire instead of spending $$ to have a fire.

It looks like there are mounts cast into each side (inside) for a top baffle, but I'm thinking if the original 3 did not have a top baffle they probably used the same shell for the other models with a baffle so the mounts are still there. Seeing the mounts made me suspicious that a part was missing, but I've heard from a few sources that this model may not have had a top baffle at all (but I can't find an exploded view, or a "definitive" answer!).

Hey, I just checked woodmans and it looks like the Jotul 3AP (ashpan version) did have a baffle and a cat. It's part #76 and they have it listed for $96.93. I'm not sure how this would work in a non-cat version. You might want to make up a temporary baffle out of steel and experiment to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.