1980's Kent tile wood stove proper safe operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peltier_cooler

Nov 15, 2022
Shangri-la
My used 1980's Kent tile wood stove is still fully intact (yay!), but my missus is leery of operating it. Our previous stove use resulted in flames shooting out the roof, which I presume was due to creosote buildup in the chimney pipes and subsequent catching when we finally had a (very) hot fire, with a jet sort of whooshing sound and everything.

How can we safely operate our stove? I am perfectly fine with frequent creosote removal (when there isn't snow and ice of the roof, anyway). My wife is still fearful, despite recent removal of all creosote, including the baffle/mixing area inside the stove.

How can I be sure the stove is being operated safely?

The missus is right to be cautious. First and foremost, have the chimney inspected. Chimney fires are very stressful to the chimney components. Make sure that the chimney is still safe to use. It may need a new insulated liner to become safe.

A common cause of creosote buildup is poor firewood. Fully seasoned wood that is below 20% moisture content is an essential component of safe burning. Another cause can be the flue system. If it is cooling down the flue gases too much, then even the best stove may generate creosote. Long runs of single-wall stove pipe and/or heat reclaimers on the stove pipe are common problem makers.

The Kent was a good stove. Do you have the manual for it? It's posted here:

There are several threads here by owners. One of the most detailed was by member @precaud.

Last edited: