1981 vermont casting wood/coal stove would like to burn only wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

Mar 29, 2012
North Central Ct
I have a 1981 vermont casting vigilant 1a coal stove that I have stored in my garage for many many years. I am thinking of using it as just a wood stove and was wondering if anyone has done that? If I were to use it as a wood burner only ( as an fireplace insert at a summer cottage) could I safely remove all the coal fire stuff and thereby have a bigger firebox? What could I expect as far as burn type, heat output, and burn time. I know there are a lot of varibles but if someone has done it before, I'd like to hear from you. I would like to try this as I have lots of wood and no coal.
Thanks in advance.

A 1981 model IS a wood stove - at that point they hadn't built any coal-only or multi-fuel models. So if you remove the coal parts and replace an air horn (I think that's it), then you effectively have a "plain ole Vigilant", which should burn just fine.

You will find lots of discussions on the wood Vigilant in this forum - and that's what you'll have when you are done.

My father in law has been burning wood and coal in a 1979 VC Resolute for 35 years. He burns wood in the shoulder season and coal in the winter. He's been talking about replacing it for a few years, because parts are coming harder to come by and getting more expensive. He repainted it two winters ago, it looks brand new. Beautiful unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.