1983 Heatilator Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfeahr

Nov 29, 2014
San Diego, CA
I came into possession of a never installed or used Heatilator fireplace, model BF36, with a manufacture date of 1983. This unit is brand new in original packaging and has been in storage all this time. I would like to install this unit in an addition, however the original chimney that would have come with the unit is no where to be found. My local fireplace dealer says I'm out of luck because Heatilator changed the chimneys years ago, but there has to be a way....surely someone has a chimney stored somewhere looking for a home? Does someone make an adapter? If not, thoughts, suggestions?? Thank you.

I would sell it and let it be someone else's problem. Put a modern fireplace in the addition or a freestanding stove.

Not really the answer I was expecting......A never installed/brand new (old) fireplace should just be discarded? This is the USA, somebody has to have an answer to this problem. What if I had an installed fireplace and the chimney rotted out for some reason? I cant believe you cannot get a new chimney for your perfectly good fireplace....anyone, anyone.....

There are a lot of new 1983 things that shouldn't be used. You can't buy parts for 1983 cars from the dealer anymore either.

10 years is the parts norm for anything.

Ever considered to ask Heatilator directly? Maybe they know where to get the chimney parts or can suggest a proper alternative. But be careful that you don't pay more than you would do for an all-new system. Those simple fireplaces are not that expensive.

The problem is that a lot of things have been learned about how not to do things with wood burning appliances since then. The reason my faithful 1985 wood stove got yanked and made into a meat smoker after I discovered this forum in 2006.

Ever considered to ask Heatilator directly? Maybe they know where to get the chimney parts or can suggest a proper alternative. But be careful that you don't pay more than you would do for an all-new system. Those simple fireplaces are not that expensive.

Thanks Grisu, I emailed the customer service dept but never got a response, which is odd, so I will try again.

I have the exact same unit installed in our house so I can tell you this, it's crap, get rid of it. I am tearing ours out and installing a used Hearthstone. That unit you have goes through wood like you would not believe as there is really no air control, nice to look at when it's fired up but man I don't trust it and never leave it running unless we are in front of it. I'm no expert for sure but that's my 2 cents. So many nice stoves out there and so many homes burned down because of old crap like that one. Sorry don't take a chance. Mike

I installed one many years ago in the mid 70s, and build a huge brick fireplace around all of the air openings. It worked great, but really gobbled wood fuel. After 5 years, I tore it out in 1980 and put in my first VC Defiant. Looking back, I would not have used the Heatilator given the current choice, as wood stove technology now provides better, safer and cleaner heating, in so many very attractive hearth options.

Heatalator as a company is no longer. The brand name rights were puchased by another co. ( Lenox) There are no parts for same from Lenox. Run don't walk away from unit. Your hard earned dollars would be better spent on dang near anything else. (except USS products).

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.