1983 jotul fireplace stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Beatrice

Sep 27, 2013
Jotul 8, 1983 fireplace stove, I am reducing this stove from a seven inch to a six and going up through the first floor ceiling then second floor ceiling then roof, straight shot. I am using lowes dur ent from the first floor ceiling up. I no nothing about this stove , it seems to be missing grates to put the wood on, hope fully all else is there. Should it have firebrick or sand on the bottom. I built a two story shed twenty by twenty, the cellar I dug by hand and used all the sand and material to build the stone foundation. The first floor is cordwood masonry and the second floor is t ll. do you think this will heat
The first and second floor. Seems to small. Greatly appreciate any help

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jotul 8 was a good stove. Look on the back plate to see if this is a simple Jotul 8 or one of the later models. It is a capable heater. For a small place of 400 sq ft per floor it should do the job as long as the place is well insulated and sealed on both floors.If not, you may need a larger stove. Post some pictures of the place so we can see your work.

Here is some more info on the stove, that shows the different variations on the Jotul 8.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/jotul-8-can-anyone-shed-some-light-on-that-stove.107459/

The 8 is about a 1500-1600 sqft heater it does not use a great or sand inside it a good old stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.