1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Bigun

Bigun New Member

Loc:
    Tennessee
    I bought a 1984 Forester wood insert. I'm currently pulling the firebricks out and cleaning every inch of it before I install.

The reason for this post is that I nearly know nothing about it beyond the manufacture date and maker. I've scrounged Google and came up empty handed. It would be handy to know the overburn limit, etc.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Good to know. Where would I put my thermometer?

Also, I'm doing a complete restore on this stove, way too much rust for comfort. Using a custom electrolysis tank I built for a previous project to knock off the rust and old paint. I can't use the tank for the main unit, as it's WAY too big. knock all the rust off, re-oil the blower, put some thermo-paste on the thermostat, put it all back together, and I should be good to go.

One of my main concerns is that this thing doesn't have a glass door, how to I judge how the fire is burning?
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not sure where to place the thermometer without seeing the stove. Can you post a picture of the insert?
  5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

Loc:
    Tennessee
    Sorry it took so long to reply, been really busy. Ignore the brass border, it's coming off.[​IMG]
  6. Bigun

Bigun New Member

Loc:
    Tennessee