1987 Vansco/Tremont TAC 260 C 7/7/87

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeriatricGinger

Dec 26, 2015
Frederick Co., VA
Hello, forum peoples!
I'm new here, but have been browsing as a guest for some time..
I have a solid wood burning insert. It's a (as title states) a 1987 Vansco (Tremont) TAC260C. We bought this house from my wife's parents, and the stove has been in here since about '88-'89. I replaced the firebrick and door seals about 8 yrs ago, and I need to replace the seals again this spring, along with a few cracked fire-brick.

I may need to start a new thread, but I've been chasing an issue with fan motor replacement. Since the manufacturing company is defunct, I've struggled with finding sub $100 fan motor replacements. A few years ago, I decided to buy a couple of $18 NuTone bathroom exhaust vent replacement motors. Problem is, they spun opposite of what I needed (can't remember if I need CW or CCW rotation, but whatever..) So I took one motor apart, flipped the armature around, and put it back together. Viola! Correct rotation for my fan blades :)

The issue that I have is that the factory fan motors spin ~ 3000rpm, and these NuTones are rated around 1500 rpm. However, they are loud.. Not the motors, but the fans.. They are a 5 bladed style. The NuTone motors are PN C350BN from Lowes. I don't know what the dB is, but they definitely seem louder as the years go by.
The fan blades are 4.25" diameter. I do not know what the cfm is, but I assume it should be around 150-200 on the 3kRPM motors.. I guess it's half that on the 1500s, but I don't know..

Any suggestions on replacement (quieter) fans with good cfm? Would a boxer-style fan have better cfm with less noise? I'm just searching for anything as a replacement/mod to use and aid in more heat output from the stove. It doesn't seem to have the heat output it had just a few years ago...

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.