1987 VC Intrepid II Restoration 1308-model ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kanijapukka

Apr 5, 2016
staatsburg ny
CIMG2131.JPG
Hey, Just bought my first wood stove for $250. It is a Vermont Castings Intrepid II. Front and top loading. Looking around at manuals online, I believe it is the 1308 model. I've found some parts online that I will need to replace.
Combuster- $127
Refractory Chamber- $181 I broke this trying to take it out, if only I new this was the most expensive part to replace!
Damper Housing- $34
Damper- $19
Either I need a new damper or need to attach a new pin that hooks it to the swing mechanism.
Throat Hood-$17 Completely burned away, don't even know what it's supposed to look like.
Front piece- $84 The top right hinge is broke off and when open, the door hangs. If I can't get this welded or fixed, I will need to replace the whole panel.
Rear Heat Shield- $138
Definetely will need new gaskets and cement too. And the thermostats might need tuning too, I fear the main issue for this guy has been from over heating.

It's going in a mobile home so the clearances have to be as small as possible and I will need to mount it to the floor somehow. The manual says they made a plinth (pedestal?), outside air adapter, and a bottom heat shield but I have a bit of trouble locating these things. Can I make my own shields and base for it to sit on and secure to the floor? Don't know what kind of metal/gauge I would use. Also, not a fan of the red enamel and it is chipping in some spots, wondering if anyone had any luck with painting high heat stove paint over this or sandblasting before painting? If I am going to restore this stove to its former glory, it might as well have a new look too. Probably black.
CIMG2103.JPGFireback and damper housing with throat hood removed. CIMG2111.JPG Broken hinge for the right door.
CIMG2115.JPG Throat hood.
CIMG2126.JPG Refractory Chamber.
CIMG2106.JPGGriddle is in good shape.
CIMG2123.JPG Catalytic Combuster, Corning Long Life
CIMG2094.JPGBack plate.

Attachments

• CIMG2093.JPG
    CIMG2093.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 310
Oh dear, first of all deal with the front before you order all those parts! It may not be available, then you may be up the proverbial creek! Welding is generally not an option. Much better to find a replacement front if you can. Good luck!

Also, painting over enamel isn't all that successful, so have the parts sandblasted first while it's apart then it will take the paint and look great.

Is it mobile home approved? You might want to check that out first.

As you know, the problem with these old VC's are all the parts! They are very expensive and add up quick! You need almost everything that's replaceable, and some that isn't.. This stove unfortunately wasn't worth any money in its current condition. I'd cut my losses and get a small steel stove that's mobile home approved. You will have less money invested in it and honestly will be a better heater that's easier to use.

Reactions: Diabel
if you can pick up another used Intrepid cheap, you might be able to scrap it for many of these cast iron parts. I had the same broken hinge pin seat.I fixed it by drilling small hole into the cast iron seat and threading in a small screw to retain the hinge pin, and added some high temperature metal repair compound.
You will also need bottom heat shield...use heavy enough sheet metal that won't sag, suspend about inch below bottom of fire box from the legs. Plan on entirely tearing the stove down to parts so you can recement all the seams.
Don't be discouraged..this is entirely possible if you are handy and have time to invest.

Status
Not open for further replies.